Why become a member? ×

battery burnout

Angel

Recently, after a looong stretch of not playing bass, I dug out my trusty Status and started getting back into it again. Active circuit battery was fine, but the two for LEDs were both flat. Bought a couple of new ones for about £7 and was happy as Larry. Wind forward 2 weeks and they are both flat again! It used to be that they would go flat if left switched on, but otherwise they would last a good long time. At the moment I'm taking them both out every time I put the bass down, which is bl**dy annoying!

What could have happened to cause the problem? Fixable? Crossed wire somewhere?

No direct on-off unfortunately, there's an on-off for side LEDs and then the rotary for different flashing sequences for front LEDs, with 1st position being off. The LEDs need both batteries in to work, you can't have just one.

I might see if I can rewire the on-off as a global switch to the batteries, with the side LEDs always on when it is switched. I'll whip the covers off and see what I can make of it. I fear there will be a lot of small wires!

Personally, I'd get it to Bernie. It's dead easy to blow the LEDs with a short, especially with the older GB Controller that is in this Status. When you see the amount of strands coming off the circuit board, you'll see what I mean.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1395741052' post='2405594']
Personally, I'd get it to Bernie. It's dead easy to blow the LEDs with a short, especially with the older GB Controller that is in this Status. When you see the amount of strands coming off the circuit board, you'll see what I mean.
[/quote]

+1

If this is a clever piece of kit that has different light patterns then I'd say just look for a loose wire, if you find it then great, if you don't then hand it back to the manufacturer.

Digging blown LEDs out of a fingerboard isn't my idea of a fun afternoon. :)