Why become a member? ×

Repairing DC Brick

PauBass

This is what I found out when I went to use my pedalboard this afternoon:

It's the cable from my Dunlop DC Brick.

As you can see the cable it's been cut off right at the end. I've tried opening the plug but couldn't, there's no screws or anything.

Any ideas on how to repair it?

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've tried opening the case but no luck so far.

Also, the cable it's completly cut off and insulating didn't work.

Do you Know if it this cable of the Dunlop DC Brick can be bought separetly?

I've emailed Dunlop Technical service but still waiting to hearing from them.

On the pic it looks like it's just hanging by a thread?

I just realised that this is the PSU plug thing, and the other end of that wire plugs into the DC brick. You should be able to get a cheap replacement PSU as long as it's rated the same?

It looks like you may be able to hack a bit of the moulded bendy plastic bit away, and strip the wires there for re-connection and insulation.

[quote name='PauBass' post='237418' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:10 PM']Do you Know if it this cable of the Dunlop DC Brick can be bought separetly?

I've emailed Dunlop Technical service but still waiting to hearing from them.[/quote]

Even it it was you would still have to open up the brick to replace it I'm afraid.

Just for future reference, these types of PSU are normally just glued together.

It takes a while but you can normally crack them open using a sturdy knife. Just run the blade along the whole length of the join and eventually you will have enough of a gap to gain purchase and prise the two halves apart.

It won't look pretty but you can then repair the cable and either glue it back together or bind with tape.

[quote name='Tengu' post='237438' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:43 PM']Just for future reference, these types of PSU are normally just glued together.

It takes a while but you can normally crack them open using a sturdy knife. Just run the blade along the whole length of the join and eventually you will have enough of a gap to gain purchase and prise the two halves apart.[/quote]
I had the same problem with the power supplies on both my Nady wirelesses. Those cases are bonded or plastic welded together - I used a Dremel clone of much cheapness and a little circular blade, and cut all the way round, following the join line as well as my wobbly hands can, then opened it up, did the fix, and wrapped insulting tape round them to close them back up again (this was a temporary measure to be sure it had solved the problem - I still haven't got round to gluing the cases closed).