Why become a member? ×

Help needed (Serious) re Gigging Sound

Papabull

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1395266425' post='2400561']
2'25" is a prime example of my dilemma (in the above video) sound is from a go pro but is still bad!!
[/quote]

Theres a lot of reverb comming from somewhere which is a real tone killer for bass.

Thanks to DAD3353.
You make really valid points…..and I'm certainly not offended. re the relaxing thing, i think you're bang on. I've put myself out of my comfort zone (I'm a sax/reed musician for the last 40 years) and have been playing bass for 2 years. The one thing I really know is that by playing with good musicians it 'ups your game' and can make one improve rapidly (although this is far from comfortable) . The thing is this , the band never rehearses , so its a sight reading gig for everyone.
Apart from playing i have to sort out the geography (i.e. what areas are open for solo's, when backing figures appear etc etc as well talk to the audience , and of course make sure count ins are accurate. This all sounds like a load of excuses but actually can be really stressful. I'm also trying to evaluate my own performance, ensure my reading is accurate maintain balance etc on an instrument that is relatively new to me…. maybe i need some illegal substance to chill me out!!!
Seriously though I realise i need to be more relaxed but find this a bit tough at the mo………things can only get better (i hope) I'll be wicked by the time I'm 70!! (ha)

Thanks again to everyone...

Further to the point Discreet makes...
I think you are reading parts that the drummer is ignoring..
or he may not even be reading the track...in which case you might ask
why you bother doing that either. The track isn't hard to busk so
all you have to do between the two of you is get it to gell...

I don't mind a busy drummer... ( we deffo have one but then he has superb chops )
but you both as a section have to recognise who has the groove going on..
If it is him, you have to play to him... and he has to recognise yours is the one to go with
at times as well. Your MD should sort which one you'll play out but it seems that you
aren't playing as a section and in a big band, you might get away with it as your sound
can be blasted over...but you are quite high in the mix on the video so that is exposure
you both need to handle and be aware of..
I am not sure the drummer is being that sympathetic or helpful..or maybe he is trying to
accentuate a point..

Not had a chance to watch the video but you've been given some very good advice, my main suggestion would be to get a musician friend who you really trust to be in the audience, you could have a prearranged set of signals to let you know how you sound, even if its just a huge cheesy grin to let you know that it sounds great!

I was never really sure how I sounded till a friend who's ears I really trust came up to me between sets and told me that the bass sounded fantastic, I really enjoyed the second set as I knew that I sounded great in the room.

Matt