Why become a member? ×

Hohner Jack string gauge

nelville

I couldn't give the exact gauge it would have come with originally but in my experience most basses come with 45s (105-45). You can put any gauge you want on a bass. You might have to alter the setup with some lighter gauge strings, or heavier for that matter. I have 95-35 on my Hohner B2a at the moment and I did have to do a setup on it for those. It is essentially the same bass as the Jack but without the body.

Edited by BassBus

• 1 month later...

I own a Hohner Jack V and a B Bass V. I love the action (and lack of weight) but want to have them fettled so that they sound different from each other.

Please excuse my ignorance, but do the lighter gauge strings produce a weedier tone? Would changing the pickups and preamp for something else give me a different sound?

Many thanks.

Interesting thread. I like the idea of lighter strings on my Washburn status/steinberger .
When I got both set up a few years ago, the tech couldn't find any light gauges so both of mine are normal gauge.
I think that the sound would be the same, but your fingers may appreciate the difference.
I wouldn't bother changing pickups on the hohner. For what it's worth, it wouldn't make much difference IMHO . I used to have a hohner stick bass. Great action, but the sound was not in same league as Washburn status.
Got a much more superior sound on my steinberger, which I got to replace it.