Why become a member? ×

Live and Let Die

iBudd

There I was channel-hopping yesterday when I stumbled across super-dated Bond movie [i]Live and Let Die[/i]. Having only watched it several hundred times already I thought "why not?", when suddenly I spotted something I hadn't seen before. At the 'Filet of Soul' restaurant in New Orleans, a band are playing before BJ Arnau comes on and does her thing, and the bassist is playing the coolest white Burns Bison. These were quite popular in sixties Britain but they're a bit out of place in the US... then I realised it's only a movie and I'm sure all the interiors were filmed at Pinewood with locally-sourced props etc.

Here's the only cap I could find online (from screenmusings.org). Cool huh?

Edited by iBudd

Good eyes everyone!
So that's interesting, it seems like it IS an American instrument after all. I guess there's a story there then since it was definitely filmed at Pinewood.
There was a good angle on the scroll headstock in the movie. it didn't look fundamentally different from a standard 60s Burns one, but it was out of the corner of my eye... I should try and find or make some other caps...
What went wrong with the polyester finish? Did it somehow go manky in transit?

[quote name='iBudd' timestamp='1394489798' post='2391978']
What went wrong with the polyester finish? Did it somehow go manky in transit?
[/quote]
It seems that the polyester finish couldn't handle the climate changes in the U.S. meaning that a lot of the Baldwin era guitars and basses were refinished after they arrived in the U.S.

To the OP: If you are interested in Burns Guitars and their history, you should invest in a copy of "Pearls And Crazy Diamonds" by Per Gjörde. I would post a link but the Burns Museum web site appears to have been hacked.

Obviously both BetaFunk and myself have copies.

If you like that sort of thing, there's something special about the creations of Jim Burns.

My first bass (which I still own) was a Burns Sonic, and if my needs hadn't moved towards requiring 5 strings I might still be a Burns player. At some point if I ever have enough spare cash a custom-made 5-string version of the Flyte Bass is on the cards.

Thee's a short thread with some Basschatter's Burns Basses [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/208911-burns-basses/]here[/url].

I love the look of the Flyte basses—the space age dragged into the glam era. Super seventies!

EDIT—and based, accoring to Tony Bacon, on the look of Concorde. Which I can sort of see.

Edited by iBudd