Why become a member? ×

Synth pedal w/ sine wave

elephantgrey

im looking for a synth pedal with sine wave -1&-2 (with maybe a saw at -1). would be nice to have PWM control over each oscillator. Ive done a quick serch and keep comming up blank. I know i could have a midi converter pickup thing, and then add a synth into my board, but i dont really want a rack unit, and dont know of any pedals that are acual synths with midi input. Also from what ive heard, most of those bass > midi converters dont have great tracking.

What im thinking at the moment is that im goign to split my signal right after my compressor (i go bass>tuner> compressor) and then merge the synth (compleatly wet)in right at the end of my signal for a nice sub sound (providing the FOH is good enough), or before a LPF, controlled by an exp pedal that also controls the feedback of a reverb, and controls how much of the synth goes into the verb, for a real oldschool dnb sound. Both tricks ive used to good effect in DAWs in the past.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
elephantgrey.

Edited by elephantgrey

I don't believe there is such a thing in pedal format without going down the MIDI / synth route.
The closest I've managed to get is the Boss octaver into a Moog LPF (I've even got flats on the bass to keep things as O as poss).

Actually, there is.

Pigtronix Mothership.

It's a synth pedal that doesn't need MIDI or CV to trigger it.

& there's the Guyatone MOM5

Both US made & not easy to get in the UK (unless you have a US friend).

I've never tried the Mothership but my god it's massive. And I've tried a lot of pitch-tracking bass synth pedals and they are routinely awful. The Korg G5 and Markbass Supersynth get around the tracking problems by not actually tracking your signal and instead modulating it to create a sawtooth, but they also sound bad.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1394498662' post='2392060']
I've never tried the Mothership but my god it's massive. And I've tried a lot of pitch-tracking bass synth pedals and they are routinely awful. The Korg G5 and Markbass Supersynth get around the tracking problems by not actually tracking your signal and instead modulating it to create a sawtooth, but they also sound bad.
[/quote]

Wouldnt they need to track the signal to do that?

the only way i know of to change the waveform like that is to bitcrush the signal down to 1 bit. It then becomes a square wave, maybe with a bit of a weird PWM.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1394540928' post='2392391']Wouldnt they need to track the signal to do that?

the only way i know of to change the waveform like that is to bitcrush the signal down to 1 bit. It then becomes a square wave, maybe with a bit of a weird PWM.[/quote]

I'm not sure exactly what they're doing but it's not pitch tracking. They're definitely modulating the input signal in some way, and it ends up a bit too soft and fluffy to be a convincing sawtooth.