Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision ScratchPlate (what shape is this???)

Marsy

Hi everyone,

I want to order a custom scratch plate for my squier p-bass 1986 (medium scale)

When I've looked on various websites, there seems to be plenty of options, but I can't seem to see a p shaped scrathplate that looks like it would fit..

Does anyone know if any of the popular shapes would fit this bass??

Many thanks in advance!
Stephen

Yeah? Can he go graphics?

This is what I want..

http://www.greasygroove.com/proddetail.php?prod=1087-PG-F-S-D-PB

Obviously I could send a tracing to the USA bit it's rather expensive.. Was wondering if anyone knew that one of the 'standard' sizes would fit just fine?

Thanks again

If you want graphic finish, you could simply use a clear pickguard material like perspex, which allows you to place any image you want behind it - when the the pickguard is in place even a matt colour photocopy/printout will look nice and glossy. I hand cut one for my squire strat many years ago and mounted this image underneath.

http://www.rodneymatthews.com/elric8.htm

It is a bit fiddly trimming the picture that you want to sit underneath, but it has the advantage that you can make adjustments to the position of the image before commiting and change it out if you get bored with it.

I simply made a single ply clear plate and placed the image underneath - being older and wiser, if I were to repeat this method, I would use two layers for the scratchplate, allowing me to sandwich the image in the middle, and importantly apply proper shielding to the rear of the bottom layer (a big fail in my original effort).

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1394016362' post='2386867']
If you want graphic finish, you could simply use a clear pickguard material like perspex, which allows you to place any image you want behind it - when the the pickguard is in place even a matt colour photocopy/printout will look nice and glossy. I hand cut one for my squire strat many years ago and mounted this image underneath.

[url="http://www.rodneymatthews.com/elric8.htm"]http://www.rodneymat....com/elric8.htm[/url]

It is a bit fiddly trimming the picture that you want to sit underneath, but it has the advantage that you can make adjustments to the position of the image before commiting and change it out if you get bored with it.

I simply made a single ply clear plate and placed the image underneath - being older and wiser, if I were to repeat this method, I would use two layers for the scratchplate, allowing me to sandwich the image in the middle, and importantly apply proper shielding to the rear of the bottom layer (a big fail in my original effort).
[/quote]

Great idea!
Thanks for sharing :)

Maybe try the local music shops to see if they carry replacement P-bass scratch guards, you should be able to offer one up to your bass in the shop to check for fit (remember to take off your vol and tone knob before going so you can use the pickup and control shafts to locate the plate) - if it looks like a perfect fit, then you can make your excuses about not having enough cash right now and then go order on the internet, if it is obvious that it won't fit then you know you'll either have to DIY or pay someone to make a replica (probably cheaper and faster to get it done by someone reputable in the UK). Of course you could also take off your scratchplate, demount everything and take that to a shop/mate with a US/MEX P and offer it up to check for compatibility if they don't carry spares.