Why become a member? ×

Ibanez: Catalogue vs UK Retail

cytania

Go to Ibanez's website and you can see many lovely finishes. Yet UK retailers often only seem to have the model in one finish. I had GAS for an ATK300RSP - that's red sparkle finish (perfect with the white pickguard) but can I see it anywhere?

Two theories occur to me; 1) They make them in batches and the absent items will surface in the rest of the year, or 2) The elusive beasts will appear in the big run up to Christmas with great fanfare.

Third possible theory is that distributors say 'oh that's too bling for dull old Britain, just send them trans grey' :-(

[quote name='Machines' post='235759' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:54 PM']I reckon option 3. UK is a smaller market and it's easier to send lots of the same thing.[/quote]
I agree I think it's due to shops not having the space to stock a huge range. I live near to Nevada music in Pompey and they have a fairly decent range of basses. But they are all the same boring colour ways. I've asked in past about why they haven't got anything more "exciting" and they said the same they don't want to have it lying around gathering dust and then having to rip the price right out to flog it at a loss. That's how I got my Cirrus 5er, (the one that Peavey/couriers managed to conspire to kill, how I miss her :) :huh:), it was in their sale at a ridiculous price and they didn't make any money on her.
They will however do they upmost to try and order whatever you want in, but you are then committed to buying whatever you order. So you are buying kind of blind. I suppose what you could do is try and find someone who has the said bass in the boring colourway just to try and then ask if they can order it in the bling colour??

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='235851' date='Jul 9 2008, 04:30 PM']I've been to there a few times - good range of basses and guitars.[/quote]
Yeah and good knowledgeable staff that will try to help you out. They were great over my Cirrus.

as the other guy said, you should be able to get the shop to order in whatever colour you want. however, you'll lose any discount that might happen to be on the bass, and it takes away the try before you buy bit unless they're willing to not take a deposit.

Thanks for that chaps, glad I wasn't missing something obvious. Got to handle an ATK300 today, good news was the neck profile was OK for a traditional D type, bad news was I couldn't get on with the maple top.

Best news was I bumped into a Levinson Blade Tetra Standard, very nice bass, light and smooth not heavy and clunky like other jazz clones I've picked up, superb neck too. New high watermark for bass GAS :-)

Sorry fella,Ibanez are gits with some options,even in some cases models .You cant buy the 6 series 6 string SDGR Bass in the UK for example,the only difference between that and the 5 series,is its fancy top and I think the fingerboards different too.

I heard at one point you could not get Iceman's in the UK in the early 80s. or Destroyer Basses.

Edited by ARGH

It's the distributor, Headstock, who discuss with Ibanez which models come into the UK. Unfortunately Headstock recently re-designed their site and removed their own catalogues from it so you can't easily get a definitive list of what's in the country and what's not.

There's always importing from the States you can consider though if there's something you really want!