Why become a member? ×

Site Adds

Stephen Houghton

I block ads as a matter of course, even on here.

The way the ads work (although not always very well) is that they feed ads that are relevant to an individuals browsing history - so if I go looking for lawnmower sites I'd probably get ads for lawnmowers.

Based on what you've said above, my best guess is that your browsing history contains tracking cookies for 'PC improvement' sites where you've perhaps looked at how to remove them for other people?

However, the ads on Basschat are displayed on the Basschat page, if you're getting pop ups or pop unders then they're not from here and you've got a bigger problem.

Not looked at any sites that you mentioned? Getting adds top and bottom of most pages, lots more than ever before, also a few pages I have clicked on I have been redirected to install latest version of java page, my antivirus also blocked a fake flash update while on here. No problems on any other internet sites, so don't think it can my P.C :(

Well, the only place we use Flash here is via embedded YouTube vids - that content is hosted by YouTube and I'm not being told to download a new version.

We don't use Java - I don't even have the JRE\JVM installed on my PC and I'm not being told to install it.

I'm using IE (IE11) and I'm using the site the same way I've always used it.

Whatever the problem is, it's not coming from here - can you imagine the number of complaints we'd have had if it was?

It sounds to me as though you've picked up a piece of Malware from somewhere.