Why become a member? ×

Best way to install bushings?

Skol303

I've got a set of old Fender machine head bushings that I'm due to install in an equally old '70s neck.

I've tried pushing them in by hand but they're a tight fit and are going to need some additional 'persuasion'.

I considered tapping them with a rubber mallet, but that seemed like a bad idea. So through a bit of Googling I've come across a recommendation to push them in using a clamp (such as [url="http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-6-mini-one-handed-bar-clamp/29139?kpid=29139&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CNC-hdma57wCFdShtAodlDMARw"]this one[/url]), using a dash of soap on the bushings to lubricate the process.

This seems like a good method to me, but I wanted to check how the good people of Basschat typically go about this?

Ta :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1393329526' post='2378713']
Any undue force either by mallet or clamp ain't a good idea. I've seen a fair number of cracked headstocks caused this way.

Just use a round file to open up the hole a tad, trying a push fit after each pass. Hand pressure only should be sufficient.
[/quote]

That's good advice! I'm going to do exactly that.

Cheers :drinks:

I despise press fit bushings. I make the holes tight (without being stupid about it) because it's a pet peeve of mine when they lift out of the headstock under string tension. Hand press is therefore out of the question. Some persuasion is therefore necessary. I have malleted them in before, but as pointed out above that's a tad neanderthal and has attendant risks. I suppose a clamp would be safer as the pressure would be applied gradually, use a big caul on the bottom and a small one between the bushing and the clamp then tighten slowly. There will be cracking if the fit is stupidly tight.

Short story - listen to the Doc and pay no attention to my hangups ;)

Or use tuners with screw fit bushings - which I would preferentially use in any custom scenario.