Why become a member? ×

Stellah 5 String Transparent Acrylic Bass Guitar

Mr Stinky

Ever since I saw The Georgia Satellites in the eighties, I've had a yearning for a 'Perspex Bass'. It looked so cool!
This has popped up on my Amazon suggestions, is it worth having?

Sorry, I can't work out a link for it.

All comments good and bad welcomed. Thanks.

Edited by Mr Stinky

Looks the same as the basses that were badged "Wesley" a few years ago.

Quality is variable. If you get an OK one and are prepared to put some work in they can be made quite playable. However be prepared for it to be very heavy, and IMO it's quite a bit too expensive at £229.99

[quote name='Mr Stinky' timestamp='1391719636' post='2360663']
Probably about the same weight as mine, being solid maple body.

By 'work' do you mean setting it up properly or something else?
[/quote]

I had the 4-string version with a purple acrylic body that the previous owner had drefretted. The body was considerably smaller than a normal J-type bass, but overall it weighed much more. I imagine the 5-string version would be even heavier. For me it was OK with a decent strap and at least the balance was good (better than the Squier VMJ that was supposed to replace it). It needed a thorough set-up - nut slot filling, bridge adjusting, truss rod etc to get it into a decent playable condition. Once I'd done all of that it wasn't half bad and ultimately I liked the sound and feel more than the Squier I subsequently bought. YMMV.

I did get the impression from the overall build quality and the lack of straight grain in the neck that these instruments may be quite variable and I was lucky to get one that could be coaxed into a playable (for me) condition.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1391724322' post='2360728']

I had the 4-string version with a purple acrylic body that the previous owner had drefretted. The body was considerably smaller than a normal J-type bass, but overall it weighed much more. I imagine the 5-string version would be even heavier. For me it was OK with a decent strap and at least the balance was good (better than the Squier VMJ that was supposed to replace it). It needed a thorough set-up - nut slot filling, bridge adjusting, truss rod etc to get it into a decent playable condition. Once I'd done all of that it wasn't half bad and ultimately I liked the sound and feel more than the Squier I subsequently bought. YMMV.

I did get the impression from the overall build quality and the lack of straight grain in the neck that these instruments may be quite variable and I was lucky to get one that could be coaxed into a playable (for me) condition.
[/quote]

That does seem a lot of work and a bit of a lottery. Are these a copy of a more famous make? I can't see Rick Price playing a cheapy bass. Perhaps he had his made to order.

Rick Price plays a Dan Armstrong Plexi Bass. It's a completely different instrument to the Wesley/Stellah one with pretty much only the fact that they both have a transparent body in common. The recent re-issue was priced at over £1000 and an original 1960s model would set you back somewhat more. They are also 30" scale as opposed to the Stellah which is 34".

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1391726577' post='2360777']
Rick Price plays a Dan Armstrong Plexi Bass. It's a completely different instrument to the Wesley/Stellah one with pretty much only the fact that they both have a transparent body in common. The recent re-issue was priced at over £1000 and an original 1960s model would set you back somewhat more. They are also 30" scale as opposed to the Stellah which is 34".
[/quote]

Thanks for the great replies. I think I'll pass on the Stellah, unless I get to try one out first and pick a good one from a bunch.
Might start saving for a 'real' one.

Back to the usual drooling for an ESP 5 string!

A few years back there was an acrylic bodied P copy branded Axl. I managed to find a body from one (on BC as it happens) & made myself a bitsa:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:71956]

It's a nice thing to look at, unfortunately it weighs so much it has its own gravity well, and the neck I used is rubbish.

Jon.