Why become a member? ×

Replacement Nut needed but what has happened here?

ZenBasses

So you sit down on nice rainy evening and decided to have a bit of therapeutic cleaning and restringing time.

Only to realise that there's something a miss at the headstock. My e string has been a bit dead for a while and thought a change of strings (even though they ain't that old) was in order

So ordered my usual set of Elites 45-105s

It would appear the g string slot has either broken or completely worn away.

This was set up by Jon Shuker about 8 months ago and I am sure he would spotted such an issue.

As you can see from the pictures a small groove has formed on the actually headstock itself.

So it looks like that'll be route of my dead e string and time to get a new nut fitted.

What do you guys think?

It hasn't been dropped or anything and it appears to have cracked the lacquer.

Somethings as mentioned in a miss

The GB in question was bought in 2001 and it was Bernies 'test mule'for a number of years. I got it at a great price at am NEC convention.

My opinion of this GB compared with others is that it was never intended to be for resale but as a testing ground. Indeed the parismic paint job was a design idea and was the first to have it. The electronics when Jon serviced it appeared to have been setup in several different combinations in the past.

The frets at the dusty end aren't as well finished as you would normally expect from a GB.

It's quite possible the nut was 'wrong" in the first place.

I don't know if Jon did anything to the Nut when it was setup. I was never made aware of any such alterations.

The bass has always had the same gauge strings on 45-105s and it was set up with strings provided by myself.

It might have been shimmed at some point. Can't get a good picture but the glue/resin used to fix the nut appears to have crumbled in that area in the nut has dropped slightly and it was being Bridged on the headstock where the mark is in would assume this would lift the strings ever so slightly out of the nut allowing the vibrations to wear it away.

As for the material I am not sure.. Could be bone?.

All I know is I restrung it about 2months ago again with the same set elites and I am pretty sure I would have noticed this then...

The mystery continues.

Luckily Singlecoil.co.uk in Leeds are happy to replace the nut.

I really like brass nuts but this would look odd.. Unless you can get them black coated.

All the best

Ben