Why become a member? ×

The brilliant Juan Nelson.

bubinga5

[quote name='RoRi' timestamp='1391716608' post='2360624']
@bubinga5: this is the original song. From the album Sunbear (1977)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR_TZk-8fUU[/media]
[/quote]that is awesome.! made my day.. thanks dude. :D

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1391711226' post='2360536']
I am a huuuuuuge Juan Nelson fan. I have ripped off so many of his chops over the past several years! I was at this gig at Earls Court when this performance was recorded. Awesome evening.

[media]http://youtu.be/z52rhGypiy0[/media]
[/quote]excellent.! love that octave sound he's got going on.

Not really convinced.... after watching some clips I just had an overload of clichés in funk (but perhaps that's part of the whole thing).
Harmonically not really inspiring (how many octaves can you play) and had the impression that I heard more gimmicks and chops than a truely inspired bass-line. Looked like he played the same thing every night and that the element of surprise and daring improvisation wasn't really there. I listened more to the drummer than the bass.
NIce playing but I missed "something special". Tastes differ.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1391798962' post='2361509']
Not really convinced.... after watching some clips I just had an overload of clichés in funk (but perhaps that's part of the whole thing).
Harmonically not really inspiring (how many octaves can you play) and had the impression that I heard more gimmicks and chops than a truely inspired bass-line. Looked like he played the same thing every night and that the element of surprise and daring improvisation wasn't really there. I listened more to the drummer than the bass.
NIce playing but I missed "something special". Tastes differ.
[/quote]tastes differ for sure. . "gimmicks" is not really a word i would associate with Juan Nelson. :o a really inspiring bass-line can mean different things to different ears.but i can see why you think he's not playing anything daring. i get the feeling, the nature of the music is not really your thing.?

Edited by bubinga5

Oh but I totally understand why a lot of people really dig this sort of playing and the man can play bass, no doubt about that...
I just missed some harmonic content to make the bass playing really stand out.. I love the way Wooten and Miller can make lines interesting by reharmonising and I had the feeling Nelson didn't have that sort of grasp. You can get caught in certain manierisms and licks easily when that happens.
I know my own weaknesses whenever I play and I sometimes think I notice them when I see other people play.
The element of surprise wasn't there but again : nice solid bassplaying, nothing wrong with that.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1391806163' post='2361632']
Oh but I totally understand why a lot of people really dig this sort of playing and the man can play bass, no doubt about that...
I just missed some harmonic content to make the bass playing really stand out.. I love the way Wooten and Miller can make lines interesting by reharmonising and I had the feeling Nelson didn't have that sort of grasp. You can get caught in certain manierisms and licks easily when that happens.
I know my own weaknesses whenever I play and I sometimes think I notice them when I see other people play.
The element of surprise wasn't there but again : nice solid bassplaying, nothing wrong with that.
[/quote]im sure he could, and he definitely has a grasp of harmonies. but maybe just not in the context of what has been posted, but i know where your coming from. :)