Why become a member? ×

Great bassists who have had a negative effect on modern bass?

Oscar South

[quote name='paul h' post='234326' date='Jul 7 2008, 05:39 PM']Inspiring someone to take up music and search for some originality = positive.

Spawning an endless number of clones = negative.

Paul.[/quote]

I think this sums it up quite well.

To build on that, a well known artist who goes out of their way to help "clones" could have a negative effect on modern bass.

Nuno Bettencourt (a very technical guitarist) doesn't do tutorial DVDs (apparently) because he thinks that if people want to learn his songs, they should learn them by ear and put their own spin on them. How many technical bassists do you know with that attitude? I haven't watched them, so I wouldn't know, but does Victor Wooten for example, teach you how to play exactly like him in his videos? Or does he teach you to play the bass?

[quote name='bremen' post='234131' date='Jul 7 2008, 01:33 PM']Warwick players *all* hate JJ. He played a Fender and made it sound good, you see ;-)[/quote]
One man's good is another man's like a banana being hit with a rubber mallet through speakers with five pillows in front of them.