Why become a member? ×

JV jazz bass.......neck options.

Si-Fi

Hi, I thought I,d try and seek some advice, I believe from the serial number (JV42861) this bass I have is a 1982-84 Squier or Fender squier? Thing is It has a Tokai oldies but goldies lined fretless neck on it ! The guy I use to do the odd bit of work on my basses says it has a slight bow in the middle of the neck, it still plays well (does not get played enough), in tune all the way up the neck but I want to put a fretted precision or jazz neck on it. I would like to know if modern Squier necks can be recommended ? I have see a Squier jazz neck for sale...... i,m itching to get playing this bass live! Many thanks, Simon.

I've fitted many a Fender/Squier neck to body and they all fitted pretty well. They're all standard sizes and have a 63mm to 64mm heel, which should fit the pocket of your body snugly.
The only adjustment I ever needed to do was to raise the saddles at the bridge up or down and to tweak the truss rod to taste.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Si-Fi' timestamp='1391199719' post='2354607']
Excellent.......and thanks for that, there is a very very thin shim in the neck in the pocket. Individual necks don,t seem to crop up to often.....however I do have my eye on a squier jazz one right now! Cheers.
[/quote]

This guy on ebay sells a lot of Mighty Mite necks to people on basschat. I've had two of his necks and they're great. And they fit perfectly on Fender/Squier bodies. They also have very good Fender decals on them. Just in case you don't get the neck you were hoping to get. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lic-by-Fender-70s-Rosewood-Jazz-Bass-Neck-MM2908-/331119000301?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d183afaed

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391198182' post='2354593']
I've fitted many a Fender/Squier neck to body and they all fitted pretty well. They're all standard sizes and have a 63mm to 64mm heel, which should fit the pocket of your body snugly.
[/quote]

That's one of the many things gifts that Leo Fender left us with. :)

[quote name='Si-Fi' timestamp='1391256706' post='2355006']
That's great....and they do precision to. I,m gonna have go on my mates precision for a couple of days and see how It feels, either way a top option to have.......better than scratching around Eblah! Thanks.
[/quote]

And if you want to spend the extra money, these days you can get a real Fender neck from strings direct http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/c/944/bodies-necks/

More options, great! I was initially going to buy a graphite neck from Status.... I like the neck on my Energy, but then with fitting... cost...
A question I must ask is would the tuners on the above pictured headstock be a straight swap onto jazz - precision ? I don,t want to assume they will fit out of ignorance! cheers.

[quote name='Si-Fi' timestamp='1391339263' post='2355859']
More options, great! I was initially going to buy a graphite neck from Status.... I like the neck on my Energy, but then with fitting... cost...
A question I must ask is would the tuners on the above pictured headstock be a straight swap onto jazz - precision ? I don,t want to assume they will fit out of ignorance! cheers.
[/quote]

The tuner holes on mighty mite and USA/Mex fender necks are 18mm wide (most Japanese are 18mm too although some can be smaller). So as long as the tokai holes are also 18mm wide, the tuners you have should fit.

I guess I shall give the bits to my guitar man and let him do his thing! If they don,t fit, one shall purchase new shiny ones! Having just checked the tuner hole I got between 17-18mm. Must be in with a shout with that! Once again i thank you for your time and advice. I shall now go and look at some pre ampy stuff on here, Cheers, Simon.