Why become a member? ×

Sample / Bit rate reducers!

DanEly

Can any help me/recommend some good sample / bit rate reducers?
I my head I want to use this after a micro synth and use it to slowly reduce the sample rate for ending our set (huge massive wall of face melting noise)

So far I've looked at:

Iron Either - FrantaBit
Mooer - LoFi Machine
Death By Audio - Robot
Malekko - bit

The Robot is something I'm really interested in but it's incredibly pricy. Who's used any of these pedals and are there any others out there?

I really want to try to LoFi Machine but I've never found one in a shop anywhere. Well worth a punt I would think though (I haven't bought one because I've got a Bugcrusher which does much the same thing). I also imagine the Frantabit would be good at what it does.

I would lean towards sample rate reducing rather than bitcrushing though. It tends to give you a bigger range of useful sounds with progressively more pitch-related levels of destruction, whereas bitcrushing effects are much, much messier. To me the sample rate reduction sounds like the input but with extra overtones, whereas bitcrushing sounds like the input with added noise. If that makes any sense.

Something to note with these type effects is that there are both digital Bit depth/samplerate reducers, and also analog aliasing. The analog aliasing is a similar effect as sample rate reduction.
The Frantabit's destruction switch switches between sample rate reduction and a simulation of the aliasing effect.

I did quite a bit of resurch a while back on these pedals, looking for a digital bitcrusher with bit depth, samplerate, volume and mix controls. I found these:
Sonic Crayon - Moth. This pedal has all the controls that i wanted, but was imposible to get hold of.
Red Panda bitcrusher - This is a nice one, based in the Line6 Tonecore system. and in stereo. There are some nice videos on YT with this thing, like wireing it through itself again, or making it self occilate, or it being used on a EUB. A little more complicated than i really wanted.
Iron Ether - Frantabit. This one is what im GASing over, all the controls i want, and an expression pedal. Hes not taking orders at the moment though =[
Moor - LoFi machine. This one seams nice with its low profile, but its an analog one, so not what im looking for.
Death by audio - Robot. No sample rate reduction, and waveforming that i didnt really want.
Malekko - Bit. very similar to the LoFi machine. same pro's adn cons really.
WMD Geiger Counter. Not a simple enough for my needs, and waveforming options that i didnt want.
Hex Bitcrushers. #3 looked interesting, but at a larger footprint than the frantabit, for the same thing
OTO Machines - Biscuit. Interesting controls, expencive if i remember right.
Catalinbread - Heliotrope. Seams to be a cross between a samplecrate reducer and a vocoder, using your input as a modular signal, and a synth as a carrier signal. weird combination of effect, but not really what i was looking for, and not enough control over the synth for me really. maybe there are internal pots, i dont know.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, hope that helps a little.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1390756938' post='2349096']
Something to note with these type effects is that there are both digital Bit depth/samplerate reducers, and also analog aliasing. The analog aliasing is a similar effect as sample rate reduction.
The Frantabit's destruction switch switches between sample rate reduction and a simulation of the aliasing effect.

I did quite a bit of resurch a while back on these pedals, looking for a digital bitcrusher with bit depth, samplerate, volume and mix controls. I found these:
Sonic Crayon - Moth. This pedal has all the controls that i wanted, but was imposible to get hold of.
Red Panda bitcrusher - This is a nice one, based in the Line6 Tonecore system. and in stereo. There are some nice videos on YT with this thing, like wireing it through itself again, or making it self occilate, or it being used on a EUB. A little more complicated than i really wanted.
Iron Ether - Frantabit. This one is what im GASing over, all the controls i want, and an expression pedal. Hes not taking orders at the moment though =[
Moor - LoFi machine. This one seams nice with its low profile, but its an analog one, so not what im looking for.
Death by audio - Robot. No sample rate reduction, and waveforming that i didnt really want.
Malekko - Bit. very similar to the LoFi machine. same pro's adn cons really.
WMD Geiger Counter. Not a simple enough for my needs, and waveforming options that i didnt want.
Hex Bitcrushers. #3 looked interesting, but at a larger footprint than the frantabit, for the same thing
OTO Machines - Biscuit. Interesting controls, expencive if i remember right.
Catalinbread - Heliotrope. Seams to be a cross between a samplecrate reducer and a vocoder, using your input as a modular signal, and a synth as a carrier signal. weird combination of effect, but not really what i was looking for, and not enough control over the synth for me really. maybe there are internal pots, i dont know.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, hope that helps a little.
[/quote]

Just the sort of info I was after thanks very much!