Why become a member? ×

New Beautiful Skin song (featuring two basschatters)

Mornats

PInball and I are in a band called Beautiful Skin, playing guitar and bass. We've been recording some songs in the living room of my Victorian-terraced flat.

The bass is going straight into a Guitar Rig Session audio interface, the guitars and vocals were recorded separately, both using a cheap £35 Shure PG48 mic (it's er, designed for karaoke!) and the drums are EZ Drummer. All tracking and production done in Reaper. The room acoustics were handled by nothing more than an airbed with a quilt hanging of it that was placed behind our singer.

Overall I'm happy with how it came out! Lots of time was spent listening to reference tracks on my monitoring setup (a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxe speakers and a pair of Superlux HD 662f headphones.

Here it is, our latest track, the self-titled Beautiful Skin:

https://soundcloud.com/beautiful-skin/beautiful-skin

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I may have overcompensated on the bass as I tend to record it really full and quite loud (so I can hear every part of it as I'm recording) and in the past I've left too much bass on a track. Our actual drummer does some really nice fills that sound perfect for the song but on the recordings I use EZ Drummer and can't quite match what he does (well you can't beat a real drummer).

Thanks for listening, it's good to hear the opinion from a fresh set of ears! :)

No worries, I had flu last week and found myself exploring some bits of basschat I don't often get to!

I put a tune up by Charms Against the Evil Eye that no one has commented on yet....

As you said, it good to get a different set of ears on it, by the time you've mixed a tune, you've heard it so many times that it's hard to be objective about it any more!