Why become a member? ×

Bass tones

silverfoxnik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='27733' date='Jul 6 2007, 07:49 AM']But that kind of brings me back to my point in the first place; if we all sound like ourselves, then just how many really useable and distinct bass tones are there? Or is that confusing playing style with the way a bass sounds...[/quote]

Nik,

I'm finally on board with your point. Several I would guess based around string and 'plucking' arrangements......

1. Big fat Thwump produced by flatties on fretless or maple fretted necks. (like electric double bass 60's Motown)

2. Zingy roundwound precise tone by modern basses and pups (Barts etc) your Flea and Jaco and Mark King kinda sound.

3. The fast attack pick generated sound (predominantly roundwounds on a Por J bass, or in the metal genre ESP or Ibanez) largely used in modern rock of various guises.

4. The Funky slap sound used in carwash funk and reggae...... (Bootsy)

I'm sure I'll get beaten from pillar to post for this selection, but my guess is that broadly we all try to emulate one of these sounds most of the time.

[quote name='OldGit' post='24434' date='Jun 28 2007, 02:19 PM']Ah yes ..
Andy Fraser in Free and John Wetton on Family's glorious track "Burlesque"[/quote]

Someone else who remembers Family, by God!

[i]Fearless[/i] remains one of my all-time favourites. I always thought that "Burlesque" was the only really good track on [i]Bandstand[/i].

[quote name='The Burpster' post='27773' date='Jul 6 2007, 09:18 AM']Nik,

I'm finally on board with your point. Several I would guess based around string and 'plucking' arrangements......

1. Big fat Thwump produced by flatties on fretless or maple fretted necks. (like electric double bass 60's Motown)

2. Zingy roundwound precise tone by modern basses and pups (Barts etc) your Flea and Jaco and Mark King kinda sound.

3. The fast attack pick generated sound (predominantly roundwounds on a Por J bass, or in the metal genre ESP or Ibanez) largely used in modern rock of various guises.

4. The Funky slap sound used in carwash funk and reggae...... (Bootsy)

I'm sure I'll get beaten from pillar to post for this selection, but my guess is that broadly we all try to emulate one of these sounds most of the time.[/quote]

Hi Bob

I didn't explain myself properly when I posted this thread, sorry!

Your suggestions seem pretty good to me, though personally, I've never been a fan of No.2, the 'Zingy roundwound modern tones, that have a very hi-fi tone (not a fan of Bartolinis either come to think of it) but it's a sound that works for lots of bassists.

My suggestions were:

1) Classic P-Bass (single pick up) - can be used on almost anything
2) Classic J-Bass (2 single coils) - can be used on almost anything
3) Funky Bridge pick up (think MM, J-Bass bridge p/up) - great for funk, jazz etc
4) Rickenbacker 'clang' - great for rock, new wave, indie etc
5) The flatwound sound - 60's soul, Jazz, French pop...

So we're not that far apart I'd say??

Nik

[quote name='The Burpster' post='28233' date='Jul 7 2007, 10:44 AM']:)
I'd say we've got all bases (or should that be basses?) covered between us there.........

I'm sure we could spend hours over several beers disscussing the subtle nuances of each type??????[/quote]

+1 on that Bob :huh:

It'd be good to have that beer (or beers) and chew the fat if we make it to the next Basschat Bash, whenever that is?

Nik