Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever had a PLEK fret job?

xilddx

Wondering if it's worth it? Did it give you a lower action, etc.?

I've got a Corvette $$ bolt-on 4-string, and it's got the classic S shape bolt-on relief and probably needs a damn good levelling to lower the action, which is 3mm at the 12th fret on the low E.

It's fairly buzz free at the moment but I want to get the action a bit lower and get more evenness higher up the neck as it feels close to fretting out up there.

Cheers.

All Warwick basses built recently (ie 3-4 years I think) are pleked in the factory in the same way they do all Framus guitars. If the action is high then all you likely need is a good set-up. Pleking could be worthwhile if you play with a very unusual string gauge or tuning to improve intonation. Just my 2 pennies worth :)

Without sticking the knife in, didn't Charlie Chandler in Londer offer a plek setup for a period of time, before dropping the service? I'd heard rumours that in theory the idea is sound, but practically it's not brilliant due to not taking in all the variables of a string, that and the cost is in excess of a full fret stoning and crowning setup by a top notch luthier, which more often than not, offers better results.

That was just stuff I'd heard and read mind you, I've not had it done myself.