Why become a member? ×

08 American Standard Precision & Marcus Miller Jazz

OutToPlayJazz

I've never had a Precision before, so this is a real departure for me! Quality is lovely on mine, but I was lucky that Dave at Electro had ordered two. The first had terrible half finished lacquer on the back & a barely finished neck. This one is much better! Another interesting thing - The bass I rejected also weighed significantly more than mine. The '08s are generally quite lightweight feeling, but the other one was definitely much much heavier!

The new 3-tone sunburst is a lot nicer than the old yellowy-brown affair, with more red than brown. The new bridge seems a lot sturdier & the glossed fingerboard adds a touch of class to the whole bass. Pity the back of the neck isn't glossed as well like on my Marcus Miller Jazz. That one feels truly special! Soundwise, the Precision is traditional P with a touch of something a little more modern. Could be the strings I've put on, but it has all the classic thump with a slightly more modern 'twang to it!

I've been experimenting with my Sadowsky preamp/di pedal on these two & the results are astounding!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote]How does the MM sound on its own?[/quote]

Fine, just a little down on output & a bit on the harsh side. With the Sadowsky, it's totally different. At least double the output & a much warmer & fuller sound.

Don't forget that to other people's ears the Miller is probably lovely - I'm comparing everything to my Status basses!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='232214' date='Jul 3 2008, 06:42 PM']Fine, just a little down on output & a bit on the harsh side. With the Sadowsky, it's totally different. At least double the output & a much warmer & fuller sound.

Don't forget that to other people's ears the Miller is probably lovely - I'm comparing everything to my Status basses![/quote]

Both look awesome!

Love the maple neck and SB finish.....and the TS pick guard looks lovely with the burst too.

Very nice basses....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='241126' date='Jul 16 2008, 05:58 PM']I ordered it from a friend's shop. If you want one at a significant discount, pm me & I'll let you know the price :)

Now I've got the neck right it's really nice as well.[/quote]

PM sent

I ended up using my Marcus live in passive mode, it sounded fantastic. In the end, I've traded it out in favour of a Geddy, which is basically the same bass without the preamp. Both models, to me, are just brilliant basses. Love that P.