Why become a member? ×

Old PC's & parts - anybody want 'em ? ** now gone to the tip **

barkin

Here is my lathe, a Denford Mirac from 1991:

And a couple of pics of the current 386DX-33 motherboard, you can see the ISA slots hence a Pentium won't work with the IO cards I have:

Here is my milling machine that uses the same PC running DOS, it is a 1993 (I think) XYZ3000

Edited by icastle
Images fixed. :)

I am not giving anything away because I still want to use parts for non PC type stuff. I have an old Viglen P3 600 that cost me £2025! I can't bear to throw it away but I have had another idea for it.

One is that I am going to use the case cowling, those nice flat sheets of metal could become all sorts of useful things.

Another idea is to turn the PSU into a bench PSU. I will be able to get fixed 12v and 5v supplies from it and using a volt controller from an old broken cordless drill, I will be able to have an adjustable supply up to 12v, which is ideal for the sorts of things I would use it for.

Sometimes when something stops being useful as what it is, it is worth looking at it in a different way to see what it [i]could[/i] become.

Since having these ideas I am regretting chucking several other computers, including a couple of old 286's. All that sheet metal! What a waste. At the very least I should have stripped the PSU's of their components.

Edited by KingBollock