Why become a member? ×

Audere in Yamaha BBN5 - all done :)

Steff

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a cheap Yamaha BBN5 which I intend to transform into a bass monster :).

I got a nice Audere 3zb for it, the problem is the Yamaha only has 3 knobs and the Audere comes with 5 plus a switch and a LED.

Now the cavity of the BBN is very small, but I am pretty sure I'd be able to fit everything there. Intending to install the battery in a flat box on the cavity lid.

So here's a few photos (please excuse the quality), which configuration you like more?

Original .............................................................Cavity
[attachment=152512:109235592_lg.jpg] [attachment=152513:Cavity.jpg]

Var 1 .................................................................Var 2
[attachment=152514:BBN5 Set1 - 1.JPG] [attachment=152515:BBN5 Set2.JPG]

Steff

Edited by Steff

TBH, I'd just get the cavity routed so it's a bit larger. From a practical point of view, it'll be massively crowded in there and a total nightmare to get in to work.

The bigger cavity will allow you to space the controls on the top a little more logically / sensibly.

I've got a Yamaha Nathan East signature with the same number of controls (vol/pan/bass/mid/treble + mid select micro-switch from the upgraded Bartolini preamp). If you're after a template for the cavity, I could always copy this for you.

Actually I think I could get that with minimal routing

[attachment=152517:BBN5 Set3.JPG]

Still not sure about the knobs order though...

Logically I'd wanna have Vol - Hi - Mid - Low and the one at the far right would be balance. (As on the photo)
However the mid pot is a stacked one so it'll probably drive my OCD to extremes :) sitting in a row with all the single ones.

might do Vol - Hi - Low - Bal and leave the stacked mids for the far right...

Edited by Steff

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1389868260' post='2338768']
I was trying to avoid expanding the cavity but it might come to that eventually... Yes please mate, I'd love a couple of front and cavity photos if you can...
[/quote]

Be a pleasure. I'll do it later when I'm home from work.

In the meantime, there was a "for sale" thread many moons ago of exactly the same model as mine with front and back pics.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-11266-1279311892.png"]http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-11266-1279311892.png[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-11266-1279311946.png"]http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-11266-1279311946.png[/url]

Thanks for those mate, it gives an idea.

I think I'll be able to actually achieve similar results without routing, cos the audere pots are very compact and I guess I could drill the new holes just at the edge... Once I get the bass this Sunday it'll all be more clear :).

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is, all done :) Sounds good, just need to find her a couple of nice pickups

That's how it all started: Saw this for sale for 50 quid...
[attachment=153754:original.jpg]

First thing to do - put a new bridge:
[attachment=153755:Bridge.jpg]

Second... The neck was the dirtiest I've ever seen. It was time for some cleaning. Who said alcohol doesn't do no good...?
[attachment=153757:neck cleaning.jpg]

Some shielding
[attachment=153759:pups shielding.jpg] [attachment=153760:cavity shielding.jpg]

Battery digging... that took a while :)
[attachment=153761:batt cavity.jpg]

Preamp was a tight fit...
[attachment=153762:ready to close.jpg]

And... all done!
[attachment=153763:back done.jpg] [attachment=153764:front.jpg]

My apologies to all the luthiers, this is my first attempt in modifying and I've got no experience in digging holes in wood/electronics :)

Edited by Steff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...