Why become a member? ×

dimarzio wiring help,UPDATE

clashcityrocker

Thr plot thickens... Not sure if this is happening since I just wired it as described above,or has been the whole time..but with the tone on full,the volumes seem to work as they should,gradual increases.then with the tone off the problem persists. I can play a note,with the volumes on half (so not audible) then bring the tone up and the volume increases with it?!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1390850791' post='2350420']
Just reading the scan of the pickup wiring instructions from DiMarzio that you posted. You have the green wire from the pickups going to totally the wrong place. It should be soldered to the back of the volume potentiometer. The Red wire goes to the centre tag of the volume pot.
[/quote]
But doesn't these solderless kits do away with that and change the position to the two 'holes '

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1390851053' post='2350426']
But doesn't these solderless kits do away with that and change the position to the two 'holes '
[/quote]

The solderless kit only removes the need for a soldering iron. It doesn't change where the cables need to go.

Maybe you should meet up with another BCer nearby who knows what he's doing. Otherwise If all else fails, send me the bass. I'll wire it and send it back working, for the cost of the shipping back to you.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1390854881' post='2350528']

The erless kit only removes the need for a soldering iron. It doesn't change where the cables need to go.

Maybe you should meet up with another BCer nearby who knows what he's doing. Otherwise If all else fails, send me the bass. I'll wire it and send it back working, for the cost of the shipping back to you.
[/quote]
I see your in herts,I'm working down near Watford / hemel alot soon, not near you at all? Il take it to the local music shop,although I don't have 100% faith in them if I'm honest . Instructions as follows, from a very reputable supplier so think the pots are ok [IMG]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/me_and_the_bastards/DSC_0097.jpg[/IMG]

I know these DiMarzios were bought used, not saying they are faulty but - try some other pick ups & see, If that fails you could ask DiMarzio for advice.

The wiring on the control plate you have is correct & compares to the circuits shown for Jazz bass by many manufacturers, typically DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan & Fender, using Audio Log taper CTS Premium pots. The connector blocks are a straightforward & simple way to connect the pick up wires without soldering.

I have already offered to look at the bass, but do try some other pick ups first.

The diagram you have seems to be wrong in a few small ways.

The "Red or White" should read "Red & White"
The diagram also appears to make no reference to the Green, which should be connected to earth, with the black and the cable screening.

I live in East Herts, over by Stansted Airport. Maybe you could take another look at the circuit and try wiring like this: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/pj_2v1tparHB.pdf

Then, if it's still no good, maybe you can try a thread with a heading like "Help needed near Buckingham".

If not then maybe we can sort something out.

Cheers
Rich

OK.

Just looking at the new diagram you posted and the photos of the wiring.

Cab you confirm the following?

1. The black wire that goes to the same terminal as the red wire on volume pot 1 is the earth wire going to the bridge.

2. The white wire joining all three pots together eventually ends up at the tip contact of the jack socket.

3. The contact at the other end of each volume pot to the white wire is attached to earth somewhere (where?)