Why become a member? ×

Ampkit or irig?

skydivepaul

I am after one of these little devices for some quiet home practice. Still going to crank the amp up and shake the windows but sometimes I find it more productive to practice / learn with the headphones on

Don't want o be tied to the amp with the headphones so one of these irig jobs would work for me
Any experience of which one is better
I know for £25 they aren't going to be amazing but not sure which one to get
The irig looks nice and compact to carry around if needed but the peavey looks like it has more going for it

Not bothered about the hd version as not intending spending £85
Any thoughts?

I hated the iRig interface when i had one. It seemed very noisy and not at all what the ad's promised. I was forever having to adjust levels and my playing style just to get a useable tone.
I splashed out on the JAM, its not cheap but it was much nicer to use and a lot more fun. The tone is a lot more solid sounding, and with less latency.
I can understand you not wanting to pay that much, i was the same, butt he hassle the iRig caused almost made me give up on doing this sort of thing.
I love the Apmkit software, it has some really good rig and IMO its the best of the lot if you are looking for authentic tones, although the GK app is pretty nice as well.

Since getting my ZoomB3 ive not touched the JAM, but now i have a new ipad and iphone it doesn't fit anyway.

Thanks guys. I went for the peavey kit in the end after negative reviews of the irig

Had a quick go with it tonight using ampkit, although ampkit only comes with a free guitar amp it works ok.

Need to either buy an amp from the App Store or try out the pocket gk app. This seems better for just jamming along to tracks which is what I will mainly use it for

quick update.
been using the ampkit (peavey) with the pocket GK app. great for jamming along to tracks with (i am in a covers band so very useful - what i wanted it for)
you can access your music on the iphone straight from the GK app which is good.
built in tuner seems fairly accurate
levels are good, can easily bring the bass up to and above the backing track if necessary

my gripe would be too much background noise if just playing along without a back track.
sure there is a noisegate on the app but as soon as you touch the strings you get that background hiss. not excessive but enough to piss me off if i was using this solely for straight practice.

for the same price as a set of strings I am happy with it.
for amp modelling and bass only practice my zoom B2 does the trick but you cant mix backing tracks in with it without other kit

7/10 from me