Why become a member? ×

Squier Badtz Maru Bronco/Mustang hybrid

NancyJohnson

A couple of years ago I acquired a Squier Bronco 'Badtz Maru' bass through here. Within a day or two it suffered major headstock damage while I was reaming new holes for better machines. Bought a vintage neck/machines from the US, but it had a front bow and the truss rod was maxxed out, so that wasn't a keeper. Since then, the body has just been under a bed in the spare room.

Around Christmas, I ordered a Squier Mustang neck (from ebay seller, The Stratosphere), which cost more than I paid for the bass initially - it arrived a few days ago, bolted it on, Straploks screwed in and this is the result. It didn't even need a set up.

I have plenty of other go to basses, but I'm really, really in love with this. It weighs nothing, it's fun, plays like a dream and sounds good/decent (if not a little raw; the output is very high), so I'm on the market for a replacement 51P pickup when I find one. No rush!

P

• 2 weeks later...

Searching through a box of old guitar bits earlier today, I came across a new Wilkinson strat pickup that went unused from an old project and thought I'd give it a punt...it couldn't be any worse than the stock pickup. Took the old pickup out - a [i]very [/i]basic looking six pole job - and soldered the Wilkinson in. Boom. It sounds ridiculously good now; the rawness on the G string has dissipated and tonally it's pretty smooth across all notes. Lovely. I'll be using this a lot, I think.
P