Why become a member? ×

To upgrade or buy more?

Iheartreverb

I have a Ric 4003 copy that I'm always having trouble with. I use the neck most of the time. I loose too much low end in middle (pickups don't blend well) and bridge is noisey and needs replacing.

So I was thinking if a set of pickups by Classic Amplifiaction who do spec and highly regarded at that which when factoring in correct treble bezel is just over £200.

I'm gonna need to sell off some guitar stuff for this but I'm thinking if I have £200+ in my pocket why don't I buy a used squier (probably a p for simplicity) or add a bit on and buy something new (quite like the VM black/tort jaguar).

Any thoughts?

Not quite sure what you mean by the pickup - I assume you mean you use the neck pickup but then you mention the middle and bridge - do you really have 3 pickups (unlike a 4003)?
I know my rockinbetter has a weak neck pickup, but the bridge pickup is very good. By noisy do you mean hum or crackles, if the latter it may be worth sorting that out.

I wouldn't be keen on spending £200 for a set of pickups if there are other problems.

Obviously up to you if you go for the squire or not.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389221094' post='2331670']
A lot depends on what make the 4003 copy is.

On saying that whatever 4003 copy it is it's going to be worth £200-£250+ to someone so with that and the £200 you have to spend you'll have £400-£450+ to spend on a bass and you can get a lot of bass for that.
[/quote]

Fully agree if you can put 400+ together by selling the copy and some guitar stuff, you can get something your really happy with.
But if you want to keep the copy, i like the look of those vm jags and wouldn't mind the short scale version.

Yes it really depends on what you want in a bass. I like my rockinbetter, and it is a fun bass to play. It is basically a £300 bass. If you put £200 worth of pickups on it, it will be a £300 bass with £200 worth of pickups on it, if you spend £1000 on it, it is still a £300 bass with some other stuff on it, it doesn't change the fundamentals.

If you want to upgrade it, pay the money because you like that bass. I like mine, so I just tinker around the edges!

It is an Aniversary branded bass which sells as Jayro in Japan.
By middle I mean the middle position. I lose low end and the pickups don't blend well.
I have had it converted to Ric wiring and had all connections re soldered and earth wires done.
The bridge pickup is just noisey in general it's not a fault. The neck is more my sort of tone anyway but I sometimes get carried away changing pickups and knobs for certain songs (or parts of) so a p might be good to simplicity.

Just trying to get some thoughts on wether I should upgrade these pickups or buy another bass with what would be a decent amount of money for something second hand