Why become a member? ×

Best Acoustic?

Rik

Hello, my first post here, though I used to post a little bit on bassworld.

I'm thinking of getting an acoustic bass, I tried a few out and preferred to play on the ones with smaller bodies, though the bigger bodied ones produce a louder sound when unamplified, which is something I am really looking for.

Anyway, I have a budget of around £200, maybe a bit more. Anyone want to reccomend one?

Cheers,

Rik.

Yer I did check the for sale section, though I am quite wary about buying things second hand. Nothing against the seller, i'm sure hes a good honest seller, I just tend to stay away from second hand buying nowadays unless I can try out the instrument first.

If you've not played one before, you'll need to make sure that your string-muting technique is pretty damned good - when amplified, those things feed back like crazy.

I had a Tanglewood TW55A for a while but I could really only play it unplugged. Get it anywhere near an amp and it was more trouble than it was worth.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='24382' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:43 PM']If you've not played one before, you'll need to make sure that your string-muting technique is pretty damned good - when amplified, those things feed back like crazy.

I had a Tanglewood TW55A for a while but I could really only play it unplugged. Get it anywhere near an amp and it was more trouble than it was worth.[/quote]
How did it sound when unamplified?

[quote name='Rik' post='24360' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:15 PM']Yer I did check the for sale section, though I am quite wary about buying things second hand. Nothing against the seller, i'm sure hes a good honest seller, I just tend to stay away from second hand buying nowadays unless I can try out the instrument first.[/quote]

That's interesting. I tend to stay away from new instruments based on all the lemons I've been sold by music shops, and the money I've lost selling them on :)

[quote name='kneal6' post='24390' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:48 PM']That's interesting. I tend to stay away from new instruments based on all the lemons I've been sold by music shops, and the money I've lost selling them on :)[/quote]
On Bassworld, I dealt with two different second hand basses and they both were great when they turned up. Though since i've dealt with another two (other places) and they have come with bowed necks, and dents which the sellers didn't warn me about. The amount of money and time spent sending the basses back and getting my money back is not worth the hassle really.

Like I say, I had two good experiences on BW. And I do trust the sellers here, i'm just a lot more cautious now about buying seond hand.

[quote name='The Funk' post='24376' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:36 PM']I've heard the Washburn models are good, although I've never tried them. Personally, I've found every acoustic bass guitar I've tried to be cr*p. If anyone does have any recommendations, I'd love to find a good one.[/quote]

Funk ... try an Ovation Nikki sixx bass.... Its incredible...... (and expensive)...... I may get one one day the plain black one.....

I had an Ovation Celebrity which I sold on (mainly becuse I didnt use it--- one of those GAS moments) the chap I sold it to has subsequently played it (in his band ) on a BBC programme and it sounded pretty good. Although it was plugged in and IMO needed to be to get teh best out of it...... FYI I sold mine for £250 which would have been just right for Rik.....