Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Basis M2000

ATSbassman

[quote name='ATSbassman' timestamp='1388919997' post='2327550']
I've got all the manuals etc, just be nice to find out a bit more about the history of the amps

It's an amazing bit of kit
[/quote]
They do look really good.
I never got to own one either, I have had a 400+, mpulse 600 and then M6 carbine.
They were all really good, my favourite was the M6, it was epic.
Cheers
Thebassman

I bought one new just after it was released, and I wasnt terribly impressed. The quality of the build was stunning but I found the two switchable and blendable preamps a bit fiddly for live work, and I never really got a sound i was happy with. I used a mb 2x10 and a 1x15. I later bought another 1x15 and used 2 of those.
I then started using a single 1x15 driving it harder, and I got a better sound from that, but I was never terribly happy.

I lost a bomb when I sold it, they were 1595 when I bought it and I got about 500 I think when I sold it

[quote name='ATSbassman' timestamp='1388927491' post='2327651']
Nice seeing some other peoples experiences

I'm a bit les of a technical bass player like that, spent the time getting a tone I was happy with and then stick with it for live

As someone who went from a Behringer to a Mesa Boogie, anything is a step up!
[/quote]

It should last you for years and if you can find a great sound, which with all those controls you should be able to, you should be a happy bunny

Ive seen the amp in pics and on the web but not played through one, its one of the few Mesa heads of recent years I've not owned in some way and it looks like a tweakers heaven or hell depending on how disciplined one is. How are you finding it? Do you use much the extra eq features?

Im awaiting delivery of a M9 anyway now, theres not been many reviews online so i may do a video review.

Edited by Mark_Bass

The M2000 was the flagship of the Mesa range going back about 15 years or so.
They were manufactured at a time when Mesa were only making valve amps an as such this was their first venture with a solid state/ hybrid set up. They can be a little unreliable at times simply due to the huge amount of features they possess (ie greater chance of something going wrong from time to time) but the tone is great and possibilities endless.
They come with a great footswitch.
Their list price was up around 2k back in the day which put them ahead of Ampeg and even Mesa's own 400 valve head.

• 8 years later...

The M-Basis 2000 is an awesome amp. I used it with a Fender 8x10 cabinet and Sting Ray bass.  This combo made any sound possible.  I highly recommend the 8x10 cabinet with this amp.

I used the solid state side for the high end finger/pick clip sound and for a massive low end. The tube side made a great distorted midrange, then I would just merge the two and turn it up.