Why become a member? ×

no neck relief

PaulWarning

just been setting up my MIA P which I'd noticed was getting fret buzz higher up the neck with relief of 8 thou ( my feeler gauge is imperial), so I starting tightening the truss rod, I've stopped the fret buzz with a string height of 2mm at the 12 fret ( and I play pretty hard with a 1mm pick) but I've now got next to no neck relief, is there anything to worry about?

Edited by PaulWarning

If you've got a string height of 2mm at the 12th fret and are playing hard, then you have got as good as it's possible to get IMO. Nothing to worry about.
I never measure relief. Every neck and player technique is slightly different and there is no "optimal" measurement IMO.
Stop worrying and enjoy your beautifully set up P !

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1388834399' post='2326527']
just been setting up my MIA P which I'd noticed was getting fret buzz higher up the neck with relief of 8 thou ( my feeler gauge is imperial), so I starting tightening the truss rod, I've stopped the fret buzz with a string height of 2mm at the 12 fret ( and I play pretty hard with a 1mm pick) but I've now got next to no neck relief, is there anything to worry about?
[/quote]

Same here, almost no relief, and my USA Jazz plays beautifully. I don't mind a little fret buzz though as for me it adds to the character and smoothness of of the sound.

Of late I have been setting the neck totally flat then winding the relief back in, 1/8th increments or less until any [i]serious[/i] fret buzz goes away. If no buzz, leave it flat. Saves all that tedious measuring.

As for shims, there is a view that increasing the back angle of the neck leaves the bridge set higher, thereby increasing the break angle of the strings over the saddle with beneficial effects on one's 'tone'. Which is probably bollocks, but hey...
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar