Why become a member? ×

Cab question - Ashdown Mag 410T deep + second or ABM410H

tommania

Hi,

I have the ABM 900 EVO III and have previously used it with the MAG 410T Deep. I used to gig with this setup, and as I am sure you are aware, it is a pretty good pairing. Two of these cabs would just get you more volume and allow you to get one into a higher position to hear yourself a bit better (assuming you are stacking them). I also have the ABM 810 and ABM 610 cabs. My 610 is MDF and the 810 is ply. Both of my ABM cabs sound better than the MAG cab, with the 610 sounding the best overall. I have not tried the ABM 410 enough to be able to give a clear comparision of it against the MAG 410, but it is a nice sounding cab. I would image that it is a bit sturdier and probably a bit better sounding than the MAG.

However, a lot of people will say that if you have multiple cabs, it is best to get the same cabs so that they match sonically.

If they are for the same price, I personally would go for the ABM, unless you want your cabs to match sonically and aesthetically.

Edited by BruceBass3901

Thanks for your replies!

The mag 410T is rated at 450w, so I guess the ABM has a higher power rating.

I am considering going for the ABM as it is better quality than the MAG, but would it affect my tone if I have the two different cabs? Or for the sake of preserving tone, would you reccommend just going for two MAG410Ts?

Or should I buy the ABM410T as it is a good price with the intention of buying a second in the future?

Thanks.

Edited by tommania

[quote name='tommania' timestamp='1388754028' post='2325580']
...should I buy the ABM410T as it is a good price with the intention of buying a second in the future?
[/quote]

This, imo. The cost of these cabs is going down all the time (mainly due to their weight).

In the meantime if you use an ABM and a MAG together, one 450W and the other 600W, there will be an imbalance resulting in the MAG working a bit harder, but as you are unlikely to be using the full power of your amp I don't think it would necessarily be a problem if you keep an eye (or ear) on it.

You'd still get a better result than just using one ABM or one MAG. In my humble opinion. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388754569' post='2325604']

In the meantime if you use an ABM and a MAG together, one 450W and the other 600W, there will be an imbalance resulting in the MAG working a bit harder, but as you are unlikely to be using the full power of your amp I don't think it would necessarily be a problem if you keep an eye (or ear) on it.

[/quote]

Thanks, I am using it with a 250w 1x15" cab at the moment whilst I acquire another 4x10", so this doesn't really concern me as I am used to being careful with it!

So two ABM410s will be better than two mag410 deeps?

T

[quote name='tommania' timestamp='1388755018' post='2325617']

T
[/quote]

Possibly. Its all very subjective. If you are already using mismatched cabs (410 and 115), the two 410s will be an improvement on volume and tone.

I would go with the mismatched 410s for now and if you get a chance to try a matched pair, try it and see if you can tell the difference. Then try the other matched pair and see which you prefer.

You just have to try these things as everything is in the eye (or eat) of the beholder

[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1388755313' post='2325627']

I would go with the mismatched 410s for now and if you get a chance to try a matched pair, try it and see if you can tell the difference. Then try the other matched pair and see which you prefer.

[/quote]

I think I'll buy the ABM and then I'll see what I think.

Thanks!

[quote name='tommania' timestamp='1388755018' post='2325617']
[/quote]
[quote name='BruceBass3901' timestamp='1388755313' post='2325627']
[/quote]
[quote name='tommania' timestamp='1388755952' post='2325640']
I think I'll buy the ABM and then I'll see what I think.
[/quote]

Let us know how you get on. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388764053' post='2325788']

Let us know how you get on. :)
[/quote]

It turns out the ABM is the ABM410H and my mag is the mag 410T?

Does this make a huge difference? I don't really know the technical side. I think the h/t stands for horn/tweeter?

[quote name='tommania' timestamp='1388764982' post='2325814']
I think the h/t stands for horn/tweeter?
[/quote]

Correct. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I don't think this will make a huge difference to the overall sound.

I had both mine switched off when I was using ABMs, I'm old skool, me. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388766027' post='2325827']
Correct. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I don't think this will make a huge difference to the overall sound.

I had both mine switched off when I was using ABMs, I'm old skool, me. :)
[/quote]

Okay thanks for that mate!