Why become a member? ×

You will never slag your bass off again...

itsmedunc

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1388676627' post='2324683']
Seems the (very little) info I could find on the web about Far Eastern made Kay guitars was wrong then! Regarding the quality of the K-20B, it looks pretty crude but a straightforward setup made my one as playable as the brand new Gretsch Electromatic short scale I had until last Summer. I wonder if the differences in humidity and so forth would account for why so many of these Far Eastern budget instruments have a reputation for being in an unplayable state even from new. I know that's why Hammond teamed up with a Japanese consortium to make organs in the Far East, as their US made instruments suffered a similar problem - they would be fine in the typical temperate climates of the US and Europe, but would suffer badly from the humidity in places like Japan.
[/quote]
You're not necessarily wrong about the Kays - from what I've seen they were made all over the place & just 'cos I haven't seen a MIJ or Teisco-made one doesn't mean they're not out there. I assume the UK market got them a lot later than the US so maybe we got more of the real budget-end ones.

Interesting what you say about humidity - that pretty much reflects what I've read about the very early days of Japanese guitar manufacture - while the unseasoned timber used at the time was stable in the home market, early exports were disastrous because necks would twist & warp in different climates. Apparently this is why many manufacturers started making 3-piece quarter-sawn necks, as are very common on Matsumokus & Fujigens from the early/mid 70s.

J.