Why become a member? ×

Valve amp strangeness.

davedave

I wouldn't mind the opinions of a few of you chaps.
I took my Matamp GT200 and matching 2x12 to a gig tonight. All fine and dandy through sound check.I left it on standby until we went on.
When It came time to go on there was no sound at all. I had a look at the valves and they were all glowing.
I tried various leads and still nothing. I tried a different speaker lead and iec with no luck.
I do tend to drive the amp pretty hard.
It was working when I put it on standby. I'm hoping that the speakers haven't blown and the amps been sat there with no load for an hour. Really effing hoping.
Any thoughts?
Dave.

Time to check it with a 'known working' cab, speaker lead and guitar lead combination. If that does not work check the HT fuses which are usually accessible on the back panel of the amp. Another quick thought - while amp is off toggle the standby switch several times, one of my Fender amps has an 'iffy' standby switch, sometimes it works, sometimes not. If that does not work it may be time to visit amp technician / guru.

Edited by 3below

How old is the head? I had the same thing happen to mine. It was traced to a faulty speak on socket and a malfunctioning internal cable that goes from the jack input. Matamp had a few of these happening and changed brands.

The standby is just a heater to the valves, I don't think the power section is on at all