Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG-X value?

Greggo

Hi all.

I've been debating for a while on whether to sell a guitar I've got, a Gibson SG-X. Not much information exists on this model. I know it's USA made and was a limited run by Gibson for a year or two. It is the normal SG shape but in different solid finishes and sports just one humbucker in bridge position with coil tap available.

It does have damage on the headstock where it was split and I glued it back together and a small metal plate screwed on for reinforcement.

Does anybody have any idea what these may sell for? Was bought by my friend for £500 2nd hand in 2003 (but this model dates to 1999) but I got this guitar (in its damaged state) in a trade for a pickup.

I find I don't tend to use as much anymore and I'm really gassing after a Squier CV Telecaster.

Edited by Greggo

Well, based on completed listings they seem to sell for between $300-700 on US ebay. The only one I could find on UK ebay went for £266. There's one for sale on Gumtree for £380 [url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-sg-x/1042130937"]http://www.gumtree.c...sg-x/1042130937[/url]

Limited editions are funny things. A very few become highly desirable, others very much less so. In this instance, you need a buyer who just wants [i]any[/i] SG variant or someone who specifically wants an X but isn't worried about a self-repaired headstock break.

I'd say £300-400 on a good day but taking the break into account and factoring in the cost (to the nervous) of a luthier repair and set-up, I'd say £100-200. :(

Edited by skankdelvar

Thanks for replies, I didn't see the one on gumtree and I have been checking. To be fair there isn't really anything that needs sorting anymore, the guitar keeps in tune and but I guess resale value would be hit with something like that.

The repair to thedamage can be seen:-

Edited by Greggo

Part of me thinks I should keep it, but purely because it says Gibson on the front of the headstock and Made in USA on the back. But although it sounds great for what it does its not really me anymore so it's not getting used and I know I would love a CV tele.

But at the end of the day guitars are just tools to get a job done and I've never been sentimental about guitars!

Edited by Greggo