Why become a member? ×

high pitch hum

Kev

iv noticed a high pitch 'hum' which sometimes sounds with certain effects.

i hear this high pitch noise when using any gain pedal, and using a modulation effect straight after.

e.g. with my big muff/odb-3/dha pedals on and a chorus setting on my zoom b2.1u is on, i get this noise, isnt that loud but noticible, more so through headphones

i have tried and checked EVERYTHING, iv tried just havin one of the gain pedals and the zoom between guitar and amp, iv changed and swapped all cables, i have swapped power supplies and made sure its all regulated, i just cant figure out what is making this noise for the life of me, it still sounds even if i have the effects on with no bass plugged in! as i say its more pronounced through headphones out the back of the b2, so its not an amp problem either. from testing it isnt any individual gain pedal causing the problem, as it happens with all of them. only thing it could possibly be as far as i can think is the zoom, but i dont know how or why.

again, this only happens when i have a distortion on before the zoom, otherwise no noise is heard, and it happens with chorus, tremolo, delay, phaser, flanger so far with the zoom , cant hear it with any other effects. doesnt happen with any distortion settings on the zoom. im so frustrated you wouldnt believe!

again to verify, definatly NOT a power supply problem or a cable problem, or any of my individual effects, as i have tried and tested them all indivually with the zoom, all with the exact same noise. if i have more than one gain pedal on, the noise is louder.

help??

after a bit more experimenting this morning, the hum cant be heard with the odb-3, and the hum is REALLY pronounced in the headphones compared to the amp, i turned up the amp to max output (gigging volume) and it wasnt that loud at all, but thru headphones its about half as loud as the bass. pretty much cant be heard out the amp at bedroom volume. annoying as hell.

Headphones is easy to explain as teh speakers are much smaller they will produce higher frequencies better.

As to whats causing teh hum, my simple guess is that you are driving some elements too hard but thats without seeing it all.

DHA may be your best source of knowledge on this one!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='228428' date='Jun 28 2008, 09:03 AM']after a bit more experimenting this morning, the hum cant be heard with the odb-3, and the hum is REALLY pronounced in the headphones compared to the amp, i turned up the amp to max output (gigging volume) and it wasnt that loud at all, but thru headphones its about half as loud as the bass. pretty much cant be heard out the amp at bedroom volume. annoying as hell.[/quote]

Sounds like you have just found the "noise floor". All amps and pedals have some noise at very low level and the more you have the more it adds up.

Putting some effects in a loop will help.

but the noise is exactly the same for each gain pedal/zoom combination, its not a hiss or other noises usual for gain pedals, its like a high pitch almost oscilator type sound