Why become a member? ×

Dilemma...Taking a combo on a plane...

ben604

Struggling here, I've got a 2x12 combo which is ace and I'd like to take it with me to NZ, but I'm concerned about shipping it.

3 options:

- sell on here and make a significant loss (I've already discounted £125 from my original asking price!) and buy something over there (fender rumble for 100% more than I'd pay over here :( )
- ship with a courier - hundreds of pounds...
- check it on the plane

I've spoken to Tecamp, they'll send me a replacement box/padding etc for £30. Would the combo be safe checked on a plane in its original box? Surely if it's sturdy enough to be shipped in that in the first place, it'll handle the baggage guys? It'll be an "oversized" item too, so it won't be lashed underneath as much luggage as something "normal" sized would be.

I can remove the head and carry that (in a little bespoke box) as carry on luggage too.

I've got 40kg of checked baggage allowance and 14kg for carry on over two bags, so weight isn't really an issue....

Any thoughts?

Edited by ben604

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1386334586' post='2298888']
Surely if it's sturdy enough to be shipped in that in the first place, it'll handle the baggage guys?
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Try this: pack it up as you would do for your planned trip, and then roll it down a flight of stairs.

If it still functions properly after that, it should be okay going through an airport's luggage handling system! :)

I personally wouldn't let it into an airport without a flight case/hard case, but I've seen people transport larger things on those conveyor belts, and I've taken guitars in their hard cases myself. It's just not for the faint-hearted, and Matski's 'throwing-down-the-stairs' analogy probably isn't far off. I'm also not sure if putting a used-but-immaculate amp in a brand new box might raise questions at NZ customs.

It's unlikely that it was delivered by air in the first place - it was most likely shipped in a, well... ship. ;)

Which leaves the possibility of shipping by container vessel. I suppose it will depend on how long you're planning to be in NZ, what else you're taking, 'n all that. This may or may not be helpful: http://www.anglopacific.co.uk

If I'd seen your amp about 6 months ago I'd have bitten your arm off. I'd long been looking for a 2x12 lightweight combo but couldn't afford a new Tecamp. Ended up with a GK MB212.

Bestaluck,

BB