Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Precision Lyte pickups-help wanted!

casapete

Am considering changing the pickup(s) on my 96 P-bass Lyte. They sound great, but the rear (jazz) unit seems
to collect a lot of unwanted noise in certain venues we play, so was thinking of swapping this for a dual coil jazz
sized pickup that fits the cavity with no routing.

My options are a)Ideally just replace the rear pickup b)Replace both pickups with a matched set such as EMG etc , maybe with a new preamp/controls too if needs be.

So what I need to know really is whether the rear pickup can successfully be replaced whilst retaining the existing front pickup and controls/preamp etc. Also anyone know the spec of the pickups and suitable replacements (passive or active). Let me know if you've had experience of doing this to yours.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by casapete

How about one of these pups?

Other wise I'd look at the Dimarzio double-coil starndard-shaped pickups like the J or the Ultra.
I had a Model J in the bridge of a similar setup & I wired it to a switching tone pot so I could go seriesl/parallel. In series mode it had the extra grunt to keep up with the P pup & in parallel it sounded like a J.

G.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Hi Geoff, thanks for your reply.
The P-bass Lyte Deluxe pickup (as in your pic) won't fit my Lyte without removing some wood.
Just wondered if say the Dimarzio was compatible with the rest of the stuff in my bass so I don't also have to replace
the front pickup and active preamp. Anyone know the impedance of standard Precision Lyte pickups please?