Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Really breaking down bass playing

Annoying Twit

One thing I notice about some online bass tuition is that I feel that I want thing really, really, broken down and explained. Built up bit by bit. I quite enjoyed watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4NDavfuQU

Just curious to hear what other people think. Do you prefer bass tuition to really break things down and explain every little thing, or do you prefer tuition which concentrates on showing the final product and allows you to cut to the chase?

I'm more of a 'cut to the chase guy' myself, but I can see the benefits of having the breakdown. I've tried teaching before and just couldn't do it, as I hadn't really analysed what I was actually doing before and found I couldn't explain it in broken down segments.

I think it all depends on how far you are along the learning road. If you simply want to know how to play a favourite song, then I suppose showing the final product is acceptable. However, if you want to delve deeper and find out the nuts and bolts of how music works, then it is not of much use. Also, if you want to be able to come up with your own bass lines rather than being a human duke box, then being shown only the final product is not going to help.

The problem with a lot of You Tube "lessons" is that there is no chronological order. You are shown a lesson or two, then cut adrift. This slows down the learning time dramatically as the pupil has to keep back tracking, because he did not learn (or was not taught) the basics.

Having recently began (begun?) teach I've found that being aware of the little things that make playing easier is very important. One of my students is a complete novice so her technique is in constant need of tweaking, another has some experience playing guitar and even has a decent amount of harmonic knowledge but again being able to break down technique and harmonic concepts for him has been very productive.

With learning I prefer baby steps. I do find them frustrating at times but by being thorough you avoid making bad habits.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I find a lot of written or video lessons difficult to follow. An example is when they briefly describe the notes in a scale, then the next lesson assumes you have all the notes and patterns implanted in your memory and shoots so far ahead that it's completely disheartening when I realise I have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I've found lessons with my teacher so much better, as he can break things down to the infinite levels of detail my mind requires in order to learn.

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1386299954' post='2298540']
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I find a lot of written or video lessons difficult to follow. An example is when they briefly describe the notes in a scale, then the next lesson assumes you have all the notes and patterns implanted in your memory and shoots so far ahead that it's completely disheartening when I realise I have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I've found lessons with my teacher so much better, as he can break things down to the infinite levels of detail my mind requires in order to learn.
[/quote]

I made the point about video/You Tube lessons below. However, some are good, but you are supposed to wait until you have internalised the information from one lesson, before moving on to the next one. This could take anything from a day to a few weeks. Only then, do you move on to the next lesson. You cant go blaming the guy in the video because you have not done your home work. ;)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1385662667' post='2290901']
The problem with a lot of You Tube "lessons" is that there is no chronological order. You are shown a lesson or two, then cut adrift. This slows down the learning time dramatically as the pupil has to keep back tracking, because he did not learn (or was not taught) the basics.
[/quote]