Why become a member? ×

Did anyone else convert from 6 strings?

Scrubnut

I played drums in a band from Uni onwards, then when that was to loud and unwieldy, took up guitar. The more I got into blues and funk the more I realised I needed to be playing groovy basslines, so I treated myself to a Jazz.

Although I'm struggling to get proficient, I do think it helps me to be able to play by ear and have experience on 6 string.

What hacks me off is that most (not all) of the bassists I admire are black and I'm wondering if they have a built in groove factor or is it just practice cos I can't get the same feel as they do!?

I would imagine the majority of Bass players started out playing, or trying to play, 6 string guitar, bass is not an obvious instrument to start off with.
Note, I did say majority.
Good job you didn't say white players are better at something otherwise it could start a whole new "what is racist" thread

Edited by PaulWarning

To be able to play by ear is an advantage, but I would t agree that playing a 6 string gives you any advantage, no more so than if you had played bass for the same amount of time. The technique and role of a bass is vastly different IMO.
As for not ring able to groove unless you a "black"...

Groove knows no race, it can't be disputed however that the pioneers of jazz/funk/soul were of African American heritage, but there are plenty of "white" players with decent chops. I'd challenge you to shoot down Jaco's groove because he doesn't have the right skin colour...