Why become a member? ×

Input questions

action_panzer

I have an Ampeg BA115HP and currently switch between using a squier affinity P and a Sting Ray. So the Squier goes into the 0db input and the Sting Ray into the -15db input as it is an active bass, right?

My issue is with the SR into the -15db to keep up with my band I'm cranking the master to about 8 or 9, and this is just for practising (albeit with a live drummer and but not overly loud guitarist). I know -15db must take a chunk of volume out but I'd have thought 220 watts would be enough power to cope with this?! I mean I have next to no headroom now!

Am I doing something wrong? Is it simply that this amp isn't powerful enough for what I use it for? Will I horrifically kill the amp by running the SR through the 0db input (which I have, by mistake, and to achieve a similar volume had the master and gain at about 3 or 4)

Thanks in advance....

I always found that running my active basses In to the passive input and reducing the gain yielded better results than using the active input (ashdown amp).

The amp is still going strong after 15 years of fairly heavy use (I sold it to a mate when he started playing bass).

The new owner finds he has to use the active input with his passive bass as the pickups are that hot that the passive input means he can barely use the gain knob before it starts clipping.

As long as you use your ears, and take heed of any peak/clip warning lights, then you'll be safe using whichever input is most appropriate to your bass.

Not all passives are low output and not all actives are hot.

Morning!

You won't kill the amp by using the SR through the passive (0db input). Just set the gain as you would normally - ie just before clipping or occasional clipping depending on your taste/ears.

Assuming the Squier through the passive input gives you all the volume you need to play live, then so will the SR.

Not all active basses have a really high output. And some passive basses do have a really high output, so best to try both input options. And yes, -15db is quite a chunk of signal loss.

Cheers

Geoff

The point of the active input is to attenuate the input signal if it's too much for the passive input to handle without clipping. That assumes the output of the active bass in question is some 10 to 15dB hotter than a passive. But not all are, so if it works into the passive input better that's what you should use.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1385299906' post='2286515']
The -15db is just a fixed volume control.
If your amp has volume controls there is no point in a -nn db pad.
[/quote]Amps place the volume control after the first stage of amplification, if not even further back in the signal chain. If the signal chain is overloaded prior to the volume control, causing clipping, the volume control will not eliminate either the overload or the clipping. A pad may reduce the sensitivity of the first input stage, it may attenuate the output of the first stage, it can even be a total bypass of one stage of amplification. But whatever it does it always occurs before the volume control.

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1385480283' post='2288739']
Ahh good I'm glad, thanks guys. The sound is much punchier through the 0db inut too!
[/quote]

I've often found that the sound of the unattenuated 'passive' input to be preferable to the attenuated one, on most of my amps.