Why become a member? ×

Just Curious!

thebrig

Some feedback from me, if nobody minds.

Firstly - I would like to state unequivocally that Basschat is the very best internet forum I have ever seen. I am very happy to go with the admin changes/moderation/charges for market place. I think everyone involved behind the scenes at Basschat does sterling work in the face of adversity - I ran a forum for 9 years and fully appreciate all the work that goes on and what a completely thankless task it is. Therefore I hate to be openly critical of the site, even on a tiny detail. However.

Blocking bumping in the 'wanted' section does seem to me to be unnecessarily bureaucratic and pretty much makes it redundant. The numbers involved must be miniscule. When I have offered a bass for sale and I go to bump the advert after 48hrs it has usually sunk down to page 5 or 6 in that time. If I have a 'wanted' ad placed, it might still be on page 1 or sunk down to page 2 at the most. And that is alongside all the other misc. wanted ads for basses, cabs, amps, effects, leads, strings, straps, used gaffa tape etc. But eventually the ad drops and, without a bump, gets forgotten. I can't imagine many people search the 'wanted' section before placing a 'for sale' so the formerly useful marriage between people looking for silly things and people with surplus silly things gets lost.

It just seems to be such small beans that it is hardly worth the effort and/or the minor irritation. I am sure one or two people feel pleased with themselves when they slip though the net and offer somebody a sale outside of the 'for sale' section but it must represent a miniscule minority of transactions.

Or maybe not - have I missed something along the way?

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1384680533' post='2279309']
It just seems to be such small beans that it is hardly worth the effort and/or the minor irritation. I am sure one or two people feel pleased with themselves when they slip though the net and offer somebody a sale outside of the 'for sale' section but it must represent a miniscule minority of transactions.

Or maybe not - have I missed something along the way?
[/quote]

The introduction of paid ads in the Marketplace has had some very positive outcomes, one of which was that scammers won't want to pay for an ad and therefore don't bother.

Some people disagreed with the majority decision to endorse the introduction of paid ads.

As we settled into this new world and got smarter at detecting these fee evaders, the opportunity to abuse the Marketplace forums decreased dramatically.

In a previous lineup, I was the Wanted Forum moderator and I'll give you two guesses where all those folk who were trying to circumvent the Marketplace ended up. :)

It wasn't the 'small number' that some people seem to have decided it was either.
Looking back through my records for that period, I was deleting 20+ posts a day, banning repeat offenders and dealing with the aftermath their presence left here, rather successfully if it went largely unnoticed. :)

I've gone on record several times over the past few months saying that we recognise that the current system is far from ideal (FWIW the Mods don't like it either), but until we can get something more user friendly in place then we are where we are with this.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1384795921' post='2280820']
Blocking replies in the wanted section solves nothing. For example if I read an ad for someone who wants to buy an item I'm selling and I can't post a reply, I can just send a PM instead...
[/quote]

There you go then, no problem. :)