Why become a member? ×

What do you think of my idea?

michinho

Hi There,

Should hopefully be getting a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with either an FCS-210T or FCS-410T.

What i'm looking to do is have a clean/very slight break up tone but also have the ability to really push the tubes into overdrive.

I see there is a gain switch on the amp, but I would ideally like the option of doing this on the fly (mid-song for example)

I was thinking of using a clean boost pedal last in my signal chain on my pedalboard to try and achieve this.

Will using the boost be the same as using the gain switch on the amp? will I have the same or the same sort of results?

Does anybody else use this method?

Would be really greatful for any feedback.

Thanks,

Mike

If the simplest solution is the most reliable, it sounds like you might just need an overdrive pedal, imho. You're still running the valve stage, and by default with a slightly hotter signal when pre-distorted. The gritty tubes will compress the overdrive wave and smoosh it about in a nice valvey way, but without startling the sound man.

You'll get a massive volume increase when you push in the high gain button. The distortion is wonderful though. You can ride the sweet spot, so you can go from clean to dirty just using your fingers. I suggest you play one before you buy so you know what you are getting. And no, there isn't a footswitch socket on the Streamliners.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1384505114' post='2277374']
You'll get a massive volume increase when you push in the high gain button. The distortion is wonderful though. You can ride the sweet spot, so you can go from clean to dirty just using your fingers. I suggest you play one before you buy so you know what you are getting. And no, there isn't a footswitch socket on the Streamliners.
[/quote]

So are you saying my idea isn't really a good one? and won't get me any results?

I understand the volume increase, but will a boost basically be like flipping the gain switch and accessing that distortion? I have played through one and I really like the amp + its natural distortion.

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1384470218' post='2277224']
If the simplest solution is the most reliable, it sounds like you might just need an overdrive pedal, imho. You're still running the valve stage, and by default with a slightly hotter signal when pre-distorted. The gritty tubes will compress the overdrive wave and smoosh it about in a nice valvey way, but without startling the sound man.
[/quote]

Thanks this explains a lot. Could you recommend any at all?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1384508033' post='2277415']
These are great
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221660-dha-vt1-eq-di-further-reduction/page__pid__2276587#entry2276587"]http://basschat.co.u...87#entry2276587[/url]
[/quote]

Looks cool. Would it matter playing a bass overdrive pedal with a valve inside into a bass amp with a valve pre?

Will this still effect the tubes in my pre amp?

Not to hijack/derail the thread, but;

This has got me thinking about a pedal design. How's this sound.

Bass in - clean boost circuit - out to amp.
Effects loop send - back to same pedal - attenuator circuit - out to effects loop return on amp.

Done with a stack pot and one knob so that boost and attenuation increase at the same level you'd have no noticeable increase in level when wanting to drive the pre amp harder!

How's that sound?

[quote name='michinho' timestamp='1384512129' post='2277491']

Looks cool. Would it matter playing a bass overdrive pedal with a valve inside into a bass amp with a valve pre?

Will this still effect the tubes in my pre amp?
[/quote]

No problems with that at all. You'll be able to set the pedal to overdrive, then set the level to match the clean bypassed tone.

Lots of complicated answers to solve an issue here.

The facts is there will be a significant jump in volume with using either a clean boost pedal (set high enough to make those pre amp tubes growl) or switching the gain switch on the amp. It's basically an attenuation switch for how much voltage is going through the preamp tube.

The simple answer is to use an overdrive pedal. There will be one that has a rough estimation of the sound of the streamliner.

The magic in the streanliners drive sound is the 3 tubes it has, each adding another layer of harmonic distortion. The overdrive pedal will be going through these same tubes. Plus you can set the levels right so you won't deafen anyone at a gig with feedback.