Why become a member? ×

Gordon Smith Galaxy Bass

Bob Goo

Bought mine on ebay about 5 years back, only thing about deal I remember was it was "collection only" but I managed to persuade seller to post

Lovely bass - simple, but fabulously crafted and finished. Since traded with lozbass on this forum who I'm fairly sure has moved it on, but may be a trail worth following! Good luck, and let us know if you find your old squeeze...... :rolleyes:

Don't know how many were built (I'd suspect fairly low numbers) and the one in the images is really lovely. I think I owned this for a couple of years - a beautful bass but it sat in my office and only came out of the case infrequently - at the time, I was moving increasingly to short scales. I can't remember where the bass went (I'd need to check) but I'm pretty sure that it stayed in the basschat community. Indeed, I think it was sold-on again via basschat after my sale. It's very light and very playable - I find the latter to be a characteristic of all GS basses (a mate of mine has a black GS P from the mid-late '70s and it's gorgeous!) Good luck in tracking the bass above (or your own) down - of course, the two could be the same.

Cheers for the replies guys.
I don't think that's my old one. The finish looks too vibrant. I'm sure mine was a little more faded.
The only stand out thing I remember about mine was that there was quite a bit of wear near the bottom of the body where it had been stood against a wall and not on a stand by the previous owner. I really don't mind scuffs and scrapes but would never have mistreated it like that.
During the time I owned it I couldn't find any presence of the GS Galaxy bass anywhere on the internet. No pics, nothing so I don't think thre are many of them.

[quote name='Bob Goo' timestamp='1384451717' post='2276922']
Cheers for the replies guys.
I don't think that's my old one. The finish looks too vibrant. I'm sure mine was a little more faded.
The only stand out thing I remember about mine was that there was quite a bit of wear near the bottom of the body where it had been stood against a wall and not on a stand by the previous owner. I really don't mind scuffs and scrapes but would never have mistreated it like that.
During the time I owned it I couldn't find any presence of the GS Galaxy bass anywhere on the internet. No pics, nothing so I don't think thre are many of them.
[/quote]

No wear on my ex (above) at all - dated to '85 I think but it was pristine.
The GS Galaxy guitars are fairly well known and respected (and still made I think), but I've never seen another bass version......wish I still had her! :(