Why become a member? ×

Which ext. cab rating to go with my combo?

Grassie

I have a GK MB210 combo and I want to get an extension cab for it but I'm not sure what sort of output I'll end up with from different combinations of my combo plus various ext cabs. My combo's output on it's own is 350w @ 8ohms and it says full power 580w on the back. Can someone tell me what sort of output I can expect from the following cabs if I pair them with my combo:

8ohm 200w cab
4ohm 600w cab
8ohm 400w cab

Can I use an 8ohm cab with a combo already rated at 8ohms?

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1384100856' post='2272742']
I have a GK MB210 combo and I want to get an extension cab for it but I'm not sure what sort of output I'll end up with from different combinations of my combo plus various ext cabs. My combo's output on it's own is 350w @ 8ohms and it says full power 580w on the back. Can someone tell me what sort of output I can expect from the following cabs if I pair them with my combo:

8ohm 200w cab
4ohm 600w cab
8ohm 400w cab

Can I use an 8ohm cab with a combo already rated at 8ohms?
[/quote]

You should connect an 8 Ohm cabinet. Once connected, the amplifier will "see" 2 pairs of 8 ohm cabinets. This will result in the amplifier working into a 4 ohm load. The amp will be capable of delivering equal power to both pairs of speakers, i.e 250 (?) watts for each pair. The matching GK 2x X whatever will probably give you the most even match in terms of tone and equal volume. If not, then from your examples above, I would choose the 8 Ohm 400w cab.

Balcro.