Why become a member? ×

Help Please :)

bailey715

[size=5]Hi everyone , im new to this forum and i already need help :P for my music course at school my group have decided to play Elton Johns step into Christmas but unfortunately i cannot find any tab and just playing the root of the chords isn't my thing so i was wondering if anyone has any tabs or tutorials they could share with me? many thanks in advance :D [/size]

I can't help you with tabs or tutorials but your not limited to the roots. Do you know the chords? Try adding fifths and thirds and any of the notes of the relative scales. You will find it much more rewarding if you come up with your own lines. It takes time but the more you do it the easier it becomes.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1384051939' post='2272339']
I can't help you with tabs or tutorials but your not limited to the roots. Do you know the chords? Try adding fifths and thirds and any of the notes of the relative scales. You will find it much more rewarding if you come up with your own lines. It takes time but the more you do it the easier it becomes.
[/quote]

+1 to this. You needn't be intimidated by doing this, it's fairly simple once you've grasped the basics.

If this is the video I'm thinking of, this may help (it talks about shapes on the fretboard than represent the notes in a chord rather than bamboozle you with too much theory in one go):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNq4GVoy5I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNq4GVoy5I[/url]

[quote name='bailey715' timestamp='1384033826' post='2272222']
[size=5]Hi everyone , im new to this forum and i already need help :P for my music course at school my group have decided to play Elton Johns step into Christmas but unfortunately i cannot find any tab and just playing the root of the chords isn't my thing so i was wondering if anyone has any tabs or tutorials they could share with me? many thanks in advance :D [/size]
[/quote]

I don't want sound sound patronising in any way but if you're entering a 'music course' maybe you should sit down for a little bit & study music. I'm not talking about being able to sight read music but learn the basics of music theory & harmony?

Just my opinion.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1384114345' post='2272951']

I don't want sound sound patronising in any way but if you're entering a 'music course' maybe you should sit down for a little bit & study music. I'm not talking about being able to sight read music but learn the basics of music theory & harmony?

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

That's a good point and it'll make learning any new songs in future a lot easier.

You could spend a few hours here or on other sites and get your head around some basic theory easily, you'll have it worked out in no time!