Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD Musicman SUB

rodma

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1384114570' post='2272954']
My first ever mm was one of these and I'd still say it was the best sounding one I ever owned even compared to a 25th anniv 5 string I had at one point. Only bad point was the non profiled edge digging in to your forearm above the bridge but that was a small gripe.
Great to get a bargain like that. Enjoy.
[/quote]

Cheers geezer

It is an interesting sounding one, with flats on it, it sounds more like a classical instrument than an electric bass which is frankly awesome

In a previous life i played in a hardcore band and the non profiled edge would probably have destroyed my arm if i we're still fast picking. Now I'm trying to learn finger style it's no big deal.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1384113586' post='2272942']

My EBMM SUB5 had an alnico pickup, wired in parallel.
[/quote]
That sounds familiar from an old thread now Jose, did we ever work out where they took the pickup from or did we decide it was made just for the SUB? So confusing! What do you think about a series parallel switch?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384119025' post='2273038']
That sounds familiar from an old thread now Jose, did we ever work out where they took the pickup from or did we decide it was made just for the SUB? So confusing! What do you think about a series parallel switch?
[/quote]

no idea, it seems weird they'd make this pickup just for the SUB, when the purpose of the SUB line was to reduce cost... so it'd make sense to just use something they already made. But there were no other basses at the time using this kind of pickup, so... it is confusing indeed!

I like the series option a lot.
One SUB 4-string that I have has the pickup wired in series. I think the extra oomph in the mids works really well with the 2-band EQ. I like it as it is. In contrast, both my other SUB (parallel, 2EQ) and my Stingray (parallel of course, and 2EQ) I felt I never really liked the 2-band preamp there, so one already has the John East 3-band and the other one soon will too.

Personally, I'd probably just wire it in series, if I wanted a simple mod and keep everything else as it is.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='rodma' timestamp='1384154721' post='2273207']
I take it that is a pretty simple mod To carry out? Just a wee bit of rewiring/soldering?

Thanks for all the infos. :)
[/quote]

It's not terribly complicated. It involves a certain amount of risk ;) but if you're careful it should work out ok.
I just noticed you're in Edinburgh. I have two SUB (4-string) basses, one in parallel and another in series, both stock. If you want to come round and check the difference you're welcome. You may decide that the difference is not worth it, or that you *really* want it. :)

edit: I just noticed also that you got a great deal with this... lucky man! Now I officially hate you :P

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1384161721' post='2273271']I have two SUB (4-string) basses, one in parallel and another in series, both stock. If you want to come round and check the difference you're welcome. You may decide that the difference is not worth it, or that you *really* want it. :)
[/quote]This is not the first time that I've seen this kind of selfless offer on BC recently; what a lovely bunch of folks you all are. Group hug! :D

I bet you don't get this on other forums.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1384187584' post='2273723']
This is not the first time that I've seen this kind of selfless offer on BC recently; what a lovely bunch of folks you all are. Group hug! :D

I bet you don't get this on other forums.
[/quote]

I have to agree.

Am new to the forum and am finding it to be a really friendly and informative resource.

The only downside is the unhealthy dose of GAS I keep getting.

Mcnach I would very much like too take you up on your kind offer. Will send a pm.

[quote name='rodma' timestamp='1384193450' post='2273808']
The only downside is the unhealthy dose of GAS I keep getting.

[/quote]Ah....well there is a downside to everything. There should be a warning check box when you sign up to BC indemnifying them from responsibility.