Why become a member? ×

boss feedbacker/distortion

ahpook

Yep, just briefly. That was quite enough.

It's basically a DS1 with the feedback thing bolted on. I wouldn't recommend the distortion side of things for bass, and the feedbacker doesn't really work either. It ends up with a synthy type aproximation of feedback with guitar, which is quite entertaining if not realistic, but it just sounds totally wrong with bass.

You might be able to find a use for it but, because of the way the feedback kind of fades up, I couldn't.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazingly considering that I have three of these and use them for guitar, I've never thought about using one for bass - and I use plenty of effects on bass too, including some guitar pedals. I must at least try it!

For guitar, this is one of the best and most maligned pedals ever made, in my opinion - a lot of people seem to think it's more or less a toy or a gimmick. One reason for this may be that it's quite tricky to use well, but once you do get the hang of it you can do things that no other pedal will, both 'simulated feedback' (not identical, but usable) and weirder things like drones and near ring-modulator sounds. It also sounds great - it's not actually a DS-1 circuit, although that is often assumed. If anything it's a bit closer to a Rat, and like it the tone knob is quite interactive with the distortion level so you have to be careful to work with both of them, and the best settings are mostly below halfway on both. If I had to pick just one guitar pedal, it would be one of these - in fact I do, when I want 'one pedal in a pocket' for jams and open mics.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='225586' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:37 AM']You do have to be careful about note tracking though - pick the wrong moment to hold down the pedal and the resultant "feedback" note is horribly out of tune.[/quote]Very true, but that's part of the charm of it - you can deliberately do that once you learn how to get it right when you want it, and then not when you don't... :huh:

But this is a bass forum, so enough of that :).

Edited by Thunderhead