Why become a member? ×

Do looks count that much?

martthebass

Unless there is a pre determined image, like you are a triune band trying to look like certain people, then I'd say anything goes that the bassist is happy with

I can't see why you couldn't take a fan fretted bass to a bluegrass or folk gig, it maybe pushing the boundary, but if you play it well you can achieve that and deflect any comments

Personally I just love classic fender looks, but I'm now getting into my hohner b2a

I have been told by previous bandmembers I should not wear X or play X but they had no right to inforce anything.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1383838010' post='2269820']
I have particular basses I use for particular bands, but that mostly comes down to the tone of the bass more than looks. However, I do agree with the posts above.

When I've bought a new bass, firstly it's because of how it looks, then how it feels, then how it sounds. But only in that order because that's how it works in a shop! - If I could be led in blindfolded and handed basses to try out, I'd probably have a completely different set by now!
[/quote]

Another vote for this approach - my main band suits a thick Epiphone mudbucker tone, whereas my other band suits more of a P-bass type tone. But if I didn't like the looks, I probably wouldn't have bought either bass in the first place!