Why become a member? ×

Oh F%*k! I have just put my entire guitar rig on ebay ..

xilddx

You know you can still play both :)
Basically, I'm a guitar player but I picked up bass around 7 years ago, and now I can say I am both a guitar and a bass player (fingerstyle!). Ok it's more expensive, but it's so much fun. So please, keep your Fender amp. Or just keep a bit of money for a Fender Super Champ XD :huh:

I've been playing bass for about 15 years now and play live a fair bit. I just can't imagine wanting to play guitar live again, can't even really get a proper buzz out of playing guitar anymore. I love playing bass and I just got a Corvette $$. Tried one in the shop through a MarkBass and kind of fell in love, hope it's not just lust ;-)

I'm planning on getting a POD or something for recording guitar. Bass gives me the chills so I reckon I can live with myself :)

[quote name='silddx' post='225443' date='Jun 23 2008, 10:23 PM']Lovely Fender valve amp, Hot Plate, my effects .. all on ebay so I can buy a MiniMark, and some bass effects. I'm not drunk yet either.

I think I've become a true bass head. I hope I am doing the right thing :)[/quote]

Congratulations :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='225534' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:01 AM']Congratulations :)[/quote]

Thank you, Jase! ;-)

I tried a few amps with my new Corvette $$ at the Bass Gallery today (top chaps, great shop!) ..
- PJB Briefcase - not bad but nowhere near the headroom I need for small stage monitoring, and the sound didn't please my ears, too transparent for me. Wanted to try the Flightcase but they had none in.
- GK MB150E-III/112 which I was very impressed with, the chorus was 'orrible but it's loud enough, sound quite nice and full of features.
- Micromark - nicest sound of all but I could still hear the mice scampering over the max volume. I wanted to try a Mini but they had none in.
- And a pre-owned original SWR Baby Blue 2x8. This was my favourite, loud, great preamp, highly versatile, quite small. They want £650 though which I reckon is a bit steep as it's got a bit of wear and tear cosmetically.

Oh, and I had a crack on a NS Design Upright. Never played an upright before. It was a soul-stirring experience, beautiful! I want to make my Jazz fretless again now! I just spent ages refretting it too :-/ Might try epoxying the fretboard this time.

The amp search continues.

[quote name='silddx' post='226860' date='Jun 25 2008, 06:53 PM']Thank you, Jase! ;-)

I tried a few amps with my new Corvette $$ at the Bass Gallery today (top chaps, great shop!) ..
- PJB Briefcase - not bad but nowhere near the headroom I need for small stage monitoring, and the sound didn't please my ears, too transparent for me. Wanted to try the Flightcase but they had none in.
- GK MB150E-III/112 which I was very impressed with, the chorus was 'orrible but it's loud enough, sound quite nice and full of features.
- Micromark - nicest sound of all but I could still hear the mice scampering over the max volume. I wanted to try a Mini but they had none in.
- And a pre-owned original SWR Baby Blue 2x8. This was my favourite, loud, great preamp, highly versatile, quite small. They want £650 though which I reckon is a bit steep as it's got a bit of wear and tear cosmetically.

Oh, and I had a crack on a NS Design Upright. Never played an upright before. It was a soul-stirring experience, beautiful! I want to make my Jazz fretless again now! I just spent ages refretting it too :-/ Might try epoxying the fretboard this time.

The amp search continues.[/quote]

Yeah, I really enjoyed trying upright too, couldn't put the thing down, very physical instrument.
DO IT, rip the frets out :) bit of epoxy...it's addictive! Good luck with the amp search.

[quote name='Jase' post='226885' date='Jun 25 2008, 07:40 PM']Yeah, I really enjoyed trying upright too, couldn't put the thing down, very physical instrument.
DO IT, rip the frets out :) bit of epoxy...it's addictive! Good luck with the amp search.[/quote]

Hah Hah! Agreed, except I was inept, played a reasonably correctly intonated Walking on the Moon, and made a twat of myself trying to play some jazz licks :-)

[quote name='silddx' post='226978' date='Jun 25 2008, 10:45 PM']Hah Hah! Agreed, except I was inept, played a reasonably correctly intonated Walking on the Moon, and made a twat of myself trying to play some jazz licks :-)[/quote]

I made a twat of myself too, in front of my kids and dog...so it went to a better home and I went back to my electric :)

[quote name='silddx' post='226860' date='Jun 25 2008, 06:53 PM']I tried a few amps with my new Corvette $$ at the Bass Gallery today (top chaps, great shop!) ..

The amp search continues.[/quote]

Just a good word for the MB150E/112 combo. Used that set up for quite a while now (with Warwick thumbs pretty much exclusively). They're a compromise sound wise of course - you're never going to get thatbig trouser flapping bass sound of a big rig. But they rock well enough. The MB150 on its own will happily cope with smaller gigs.

I often get comments after gigs from people asking if I was going through the PA too.

And with a couple of GK carry bags they are very poratble too! Check prices with Thomann though. They tend to be lower than the UK distributor will supply for.

David

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='227180' date='Jun 26 2008, 10:57 AM']Just a good word for the MB150E/112 combo. Used that set up for quite a while now (with Warwick thumbs pretty much exclusively). They're a compromise sound wise of course - you're never going to get thatbig trouser flapping bass sound of a big rig. But they rock well enough. The MB150 on its own will happily cope with smaller gigs.

I often get comments after gigs from people asking if I was going through the PA too.

And with a couple of GK carry bags they are very poratble too! Check prices with Thomann though. They tend to be lower than the UK distributor will supply for.

David[/quote]

Thanks very much, David. I think you have convinced me. It ticks all the right boxes, portable (got to fit into my MX-5's boot!), loud enough for onstage monitoring, deep enough frequencies, great for direct to desk, versatile tones.

What do you reckon the advantages of the E over the S are though?

Thanks again.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='228035' date='Jun 27 2008, 02:17 PM']hmm....I could have fun with that Blackstar pedal and the Hot Plate....[/quote]

You'd probably love it! Raises the hackles for me. I was listening to a number last night that I recently recorded with that gear, I was getting some seriously bad vibes about selling it all! I'm going to have to use a POD for a while :) Just ain't really going to be the same. Still, I love playing bass much more than guitar so what the hell.