Why become a member? ×

SUB bass - new finds in latest post

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Musicman-Sub-Bass-Guitar-active-w-padded-Tobias-bag_W0QQitemZ260254792897QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260254792897&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Here[/url]

Listed at a distinctly average price for a SUB, which is rare in itself, if you're after a SUB and don't want to pay a fortune this might be a good one, though seems a little overpriced, but only by about £50 or so.

Edited by budget bassist

It looks a lot nicer condition than some of the recent subs on the bay. Shame about those dings in the neck. A little remedial work would soon have them sorted though if they were a nuisance.
It's a newer (2004 onwards) type if anyone that didn't know that is interested.

It seems the seller has lowered the BIN to £350, so it's even more reasonable than before, i'd go for it if i was in the market tbh.... (sterling for me next :) )

Another couple of cheap SUBs on the bay:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Music-Man-4-String-Sub-Bass-Guitar-Electric_W0QQitemZ260255655188QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260255655188&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]£200 starter, reserve, £450 BIN (bit expensive)[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/musicman-sub-bass_W0QQitemZ230265195306QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230265195306&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]99p no reserve!![/url]

Edited by budget bassist

any reason your upgrading to the bass with the slightly warped pickguard :huh:

and £450 is more than a bit expensive for the slab of wood the sub bass essentially is :) specially for the passive one, is that a mirror pickguard??

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='227049' date='Jun 26 2008, 12:40 AM']is that a mirror pickguard??[/quote]
Sure looks like one. That could be fun. I already amuse myself by momentarily blinding folk with my SUB's oh so shiny control plate.

Hmmm, I just remembered tho, I used to have one on a J bass years ago. Thought it would be cool but it lasted about 2 weeks - I got fed up constantly rubbing off finger marks. :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='227427' date='Jun 26 2008, 03:02 PM']What?

And nobody will buy it for £450, but the reserve could be reasonable. And what's wrong with SUBs anyway?[/quote]
:) i mean the pickguard is like a stingray's only, well, weird shaped :huh:

sub's are great basses, i had one for over a year, stil my longest owned bass, its just the lack of body contouring, hence my slab of wood comment, made it a little uncomfortable for the forearm, n the painted neck sometimes felt a bit sticky, but its a great bass, certainly better than most basses for around £350

Edited by BassManKev

Ah ok i thought you were beating on them :) I know what you mean though, the pickguard on mine was first to go, and yeah i know what you mean about the countouring, or lack of and the neck, but as you say, better than most basses in the price range, as long as you pay a good price for one! TBH it's the sound that's won me over. They could have used cheapy electronics and wilkinson pickups or something, but they didn't and they sound like full on £1000 stingrays, and i can't stop banging on about them :huh:

[quote name='BassManKev' post='227616' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:12 PM']:) i mean the pickguard is like a stingray's only, well, weird shaped :huh:

sub's are great basses, i had one for over a year, stil my longest owned bass, its just the lack of body contouring, hence my slab of wood comment, made it a little uncomfortable for the forearm, n the painted neck sometimes felt a bit sticky, but its a great bass, certainly better than most basses for around £350[/quote]
I'd read about sticky neck syndrome before I got mine and was almost put off by it but it turned out (in my case anyway) to be utter nonsense. Unlike some high gloss necks I have not noticed any impedance with the S.U.B.'s matt/satin finish whatsoever. As for the contouring or lack of that's not a problem either. I play very low slung, finger style so my right arm is straight down but even when I'm sitting down practising with my wrist hooked over the top it doesn't dig in or bother me. Maybe I'm just made of tougher stuff. :huh: I have noticed though during particularly hot gigs that I get a sweaty forearm right where it makes contact with the body.
The only real issue I have with mine is the neck width. I've been used to J and Ibby necks for years and I'm finding the crossover a little tricky If you fumble a run or don't hit the fret absolutely spot on the bass lets you (and everyone else) know with a very pronounced MM buzz.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='227737' date='Jun 27 2008, 01:24 AM']the sound is brilliant thats for sure, same 2 band preamp they use in 2 band stingray isn't it?? i reckon it could well rival a proper stingray if you stuck a status neck on it :huh:[/quote]
It is indeed, i think it gives the stingray a bit of a run for it's money anyway considering the price! I've seen people that have had the contours cut, had it refinished and had the neck shaved, and after about £200 worth of work, the only real difference then is the body wood. Though by that point it may have been worth buying a used ray. But I'm still going to get a ray or a sterling anyway.

@ ou7shined, mine is a bit sticky, but not like it would be on a full gloss neck, but it's not as nice as a ray neck i think. The lack of contouring doesn't bother me at all when i'm standing up, when i'm sitting down it's a little uncomfortable, but not very. great bass though :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='228037' date='Jun 27 2008, 02:19 PM']It is indeed, i think it gives the stingray a bit of a run for it's money anyway considering the price! I've seen people that have had the contours cut, had it refinished and had the neck shaved, and after about £200 worth of work, the only real difference then is the body wood. Though by that point it may have been worth buying a used ray. But I'm still going to get a ray or a sterling anyway.
[b]
@ ou7shined, mine is a bit sticky, but not like it would be on a full gloss neck, but it's not as nice as a ray neck i think. The lack of contouring doesn't bother me at all when i'm standing up, when i'm sitting down it's a little uncomfortable, but not very. great bass though :)[/b][/quote]
exactly my thoughts about it too

My SUB5 is what lead me to my SR5 3eq...I've got my SUB as my practice bass with dirty ol' heavy Rotosounds on, so if I can nail a lick on my SUB, I can fly thru it on my MM!

Great basses, hard-as-nails body finish, and now they're discontinued I think it's time to keep this one as near mint as possible and hope it'll start appreciating in a few years!! lol!