Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on my speaker configurations. (Series/Parallel)

Raslee

Ok, its an ohms/Watts 'kind of question', but mainly questioning the use of serial cab configurations. Hope it makes some sense.

I've got [b]four[/b] 2x10 cabs (2 coming shortly in the post):

Two are 8ohm ~(same speakers and are rated @ 400W) and the other two are both 4ohm (one GK with upgraded speakers @ 700W & a Carvin rated @ 400W)

I've got two bass amps: Orange Terror (capable of 500W at both 4 & 8 ohms) - i'll use this mainly for soul/funk. My second amp is a Eden Nemesis NA650 (650W at 2 ohms & 440 at 4ohms) - i'll use this mainly for reggae. I prefer the 2ohm 650W for the headroom needed in reggae (heavy bass man!)

I also have a special series cable made by our resident genius, Obbm.

So my configurations:-

4x10
Both 8ohms cabs together giving me 4ohms - So basically a 4x10 @ 4 ohms

and my two 4 ohms cabs giving me 2 ohms for a 4x10 config for the Eden head.

What 's the best config if i want a 6x10???

I could put the two 4 ohms in series giving me 8 ohms and parallel with one of the 8 ohm giving 4 ohms to the Orange - is this good or bad? mainly wondering as one of the 4ohms is rated at 700W whereas all the others are 400W.

Or for the Eden doing reggae - what about both 8ohms cabs in parallel giving 4 ohms and then parallel with one of my 4 ohm cabs giving 2 ohms? (Prob the 400W is best...i'm guessing).

Any advantages/disadvantages of series wiring...more importantly will i lose any low bass frequency for the reggae stuff. I did consider getting a 6x10 cab but for portability and versatility i have opted for the 2x10's route.

Hope this all makes some sense. :)

Edited by Rasta

I think you're gonna struggle to get 3 of those cabs to all be @ the same volume if they're all rated differently re Ωs. Ignore the wattage as that's just how much heat the coil can handle.

Doesn't 2 2x10s stacked vertically cut it? If not, then look at better cabs.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1382618604' post='2254465']
I think you're gonna struggle to get 3 of those cabs to all be @ the same volume if they're all rated differently re Ωs.
[/quote]

Yes, this is it.

if a certain ohm load is the same as another load, they will receive the same power from the amp, if run in parallel. So, Rasta, in one of your configurations to make a 6x10, there is one 8 ohm load (made of 4 x 10's) and another 8 ohm load made of 2 x 10's. So, with the same impedances, these two loads will receive equal power from the amp. So the 8 ohm 2 x10 will receive a lot more power per speaker than the 8 ohm 4 x10. This won't necessarily be a problem, unless you are pushing the speakers to the extremes of their ability.
The best option IMO would be to make a 6x10 2 ohm stack. That way you can have a 4 ohm 4x10 load (two 8 ohm 2x10's in parallel) and then the 700W 4 ohm 2x10 as the other 4 ohm load, so when run in parallel, both 4 ohm loads will give you a total 2 ohm load. The higher rated 2x10 should have a better chance at coping.
That way the 700W 2x10 would be taking half the Nemesis' full output (maximum of 650W at 2 ohm, so each 4 ohm load in parallel would receive 325W (of thereabouts) maximum. IMO, there is a reasonable chance of this working well at volume, although it all depends just how bassy you have the signal for your reggae stuff. Some cabs/speakers are much better at coping with high volume low frequencies than others. It's not just about wattage.

I'd keep them separate fella. To be frank mixing cabs from different manufacturers is a fast route to a sh*tty sound in my opinion. Each will have it's own character, which you can compensate for a bit with EQ, but with two, or three different sounding cabs you're probably going to end up never quite happy with the sound.

I reckon your best bet, especially for reggae, is to flog the lot and get a decent 4 ohm 2 x 12, better two, or even 2 x 15.

Plus, if you get a well designed cab with good sensitivity (especially LF) you won't need so much power!

I used to use an Acoustic 1x18 for my dub band, it didn't need much more than 100 watts to flap the trousers of the first 4 rows because it was a very efficient design (in terms of sound - definitely not in terms of transportation!). I ran it with a 100w valve head for years, never really got the amp to work hard either...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1382714054' post='2255844']
I'd keep them separate fella. To be frank mixing cabs from different manufacturers is a fast route to a sh*tty sound in my opinion. Each will have it's own character, which you can compensate for a bit with EQ, but with two, or three different sounding cabs you're probably going to end up never quite happy with the sound.

I reckon your best bet, especially for reggae, is to flog the lot and get a decent 4 ohm 2 x 12, better two, or even 2 x 15.

Plus, if you get a well designed cab with good sensitivity (especially LF) you won't need so much power!

I used to use an Acoustic 1x18 for my dub band, it didn't need much more than 100 watts to flap the trousers of the first 4 rows because it was a very efficient design (in terms of sound - definitely not in terms of transportation!). I ran it with a 100w valve head for years, never really got the amp to work hard either...
[/quote]

Cheers for the very good advice guys, noted. I'll see how i get on soundwise first, i do have a 4x10 & 15" cab too which i can also play around with (i have to many cabs indeed!). Just curious to the 2x10 configs but some very good points about mixing cabs etc. Would love an Acoustic 18" cab to try...never tired an 18" to be honest. Thanks again :)